Trump Grounds Boeing 737 MAX 8 and 9 Jets After Two Crashes

Get off his back? Did you not watch the conference where he finally announced the grounding, begrudgingly announced it, saying it wasn’t necessary.

As it was Obese Donald Trump did exactly as I stated, LEADING FROM BEHIND in announcing the grounding of the jets, after the rest of the world had already made that decision for the safety of air travelers and crews.

When the FAA sent investigative staff to Ethiopia for the crash there they already KNEW that there were similarities involved that mirrored the Lion Air Flight 610 crash from October 29th, 2018.

Also his border wall funding tantrum aka the Trump Wall Government Shutdown affected negatively both the FAA and the NTSB, the latter also suffering staffing shortages, but was more importantly backlogged on at least 87 crash investigations as a result of the NEEDLESS Trump Government Shutdown.

So I am not getting off Obese Donald’s back.

1 Like

The rest of the world acted out of fear before we had a clue what led to the crash.

Trump did the sane thing and let the FAA and local authorities come to some preliminary decisions as more facts came out before jumping the gun.

There hasn’t been a single incident with this model in the US or anywhere in N. America so far.

No matter what Trump did here he was going to be criticized for either acting too quickly or too slowly or both.

The FAA was never shut down. Crash investigations sometimes go on for years.

1 Like

Sounds like Boeing is a ■■■■■■■■ company for upselling a safety feature rather than building it in.

I’m not following you there. What do you mean by that?

You’re headed for a stroke my man …

I think some Boeing people need to be going to jail:

https://twitter.com/trevorsumner/status/1106934415610073091?s=21

Who made this decision to make optional a safety redundancy and indicator?

Just the one? That’s all you have?

1 Like

How is providing customers options a criminal offense?

Our plane will try to kill you if this sensor goes bad so he’s an extra option to prevent that.

1 Like

I’m gonna steal from that twitter thread I posted which y in asummarizes the issues:

• Economic problem that the 737 engines used too much fuel, so they decided to install more efficient engines with bigger fans and make the 737MAX.

This led to an * Airframe problem. They wanted to use the 737 airframe for economic reasons, but needed more ground clearance with bigger engines.The 737 design can’t be practically modified to have taller main landing gear. The solution was to mount them higher & more forward.

This led to an

• Aerodynamic problem. The airframe with the engines mounted differently did not have adequately stable handling at high AoA to be certifiable. Boeing decided to create the MCAS system to electronically correct for the aircraft’s handling deficiencies.

During the course of developing the MCAS, there was a

• Systems engineering problem. Boeing wanted the simplest possible fix that fit their existing systems architecture, so that it required minimal engineering rework, and minimal new training for pilots and maintenance crews.

The easiest way to do this was to add some features to the existing Elevator Feel Shift system. Like the EFS system, the MCAS relies on non-redundant sensors to decide how much trim to add. Unlike the EFS system, MCAS can make huge nose down trim changes.

On both ill-fated flights, there was a: * Sensor problem. The AoA vane on the 737MAX appears to not be very reliable and gave wildly wrong readings. On LionAir, this was compounded by a

• Maintenance practices problem. The previous crew had experienced the same problem and didn’t record the problem in the maintenance logbook. This was compounded by a:
  • Pilot training problem. On LionAir, pilots were never even told about the MCAS, and by the time of the Ethiopian flight, there was an emergency AD issued, but no one had done sim training on this failure. This was compounded by an:
  • Economic problem. Boeing sells an option package that includes an extra AoA vane, and an AoA disagree light, which lets pilots know that this problem was happening. Both 737MAXes that crashed were delivered without this option. No 737MAX with this option has ever crashed.

All of this was compounded by a:

• Pilot expertise problem. If the pilots had correctly and quickly identified the problem and run the stab trim runaway checklist, they would not have crashed.

So, Boeing makes all of these changes to the 737 airframe to make the 737MAX and one of the systems that helps pilots—who have received insufficient training and documentation and who have basically been misled to believe they are going to be flying the same plane as the 737NG—identify when a life-threatening condition caused by these changes to the plane is happening is an optional package that can be purchased by the airlines.

I’d argue that’s criminal negligence on the part of Boeing. They pitched this plane as requiring minimal training. They introduced new systems to the plane to account for the different behavior due to the structural differences of the engines and where they’re mounted. Then, they didn’t include a safety feature by default that indicates when this new system is performing in a fatally undesirable way. The pilots were not expecting this behavior. It was acting counter to what they thought would be happening. There was no indicator to tell them what was going on. Because Boeing wanted to make more money on an “upgrade”.

How much training does it take to teach a pilot to flip a switch to the off position when a trim anomaly occurs?

Love all the Conz defending Boeing.

Is there ever an issue where Conz are on the correct side of anything?

What does this incident have to do with political philosophy? Is everything polarized thusly for you?

Not my fault Conz always pick the wrong side of history to be on.

Yes, I’m sure it’s completely that simple in a plane where the reality is some pilots were given the manual in the car on the way to the airport before their first time flying it. Especially when that plane is acting in a manner they aren’t familiar with and there’s no indicator showing what the exact issue is.

Do you believe Boeing should have provided the package that includes an extra AoA vane, and an AoA disagree light, which lets pilots know that this problem was happening, by default?

The manual thing on way to airport is definatly valid. However the way the plane was reacting was not something new. And it is that simple. People just think some of theses other countries receive the same training as the US pilots. The emergency procedure was exactly the same. Just a different system doing it. But all indications are the same.
It goes back you what I was talking about. You can’t rely on computers to tell you what is wrong or to fly it. Boeing aircraft can be flown just fine manually.
And no Boeing is not responsible for training only making it available. I have flown aircraft that have different checklist for same plane depending on company.

No, if the plane is pitching up and down first thing you do is turn everything to manual. Same in every aircraft.

The history is that Boeing makes the best, safest airliners in the world and has for at least the last 75 years. Your lack of knowledge about airplanes does not put me on the wrong side of history. Trying to politicize this topic and make it a liberal vs. conservative issue simply goes to show that you have nothing of value to contribute.

I learned how simple it was to resolve the MCAS trim problem wthin two days of the Indonesian crash and I am not an airline pilot. What excuse did the Somali pilots have for not knowing?

The anecdote about pilots being given the manual on the way to the airport was about an equipment change at the last minute and involved the differences in the cockpit, not specifically the MCAS system. And, if you read the rest of the thread, you will have noted that I condemned that action by the particular airlines operations crew/aircraft scheduler who did that. However, that lackadaisical action by an airlines Opps employee, has no bearing on Boeing or the 737 Max 8.