Trump: General Robert E. Lee was a great general

Isn’t the problem here that Trump had to reach back 150 years, to a treasonous general, to find an example of a “great person on both sides”?

1 Like

Slavery was the central dividing issue for the decades leading up to the Civil War.

Lee chose poorly. His rightfully lost.

Removing Statues honoring the leaders of a military and a nation that existed to preserve slavery should be a no braner.

1 Like

I don’t disagree, but I don’t think Lee was an evil man. He was a man of his time.

Not saying that he was an evil man.

There is no reason though to give him a place of honor.

1 Like

Agreed.

1 Like

Why? Because it isn’t the norm today? Would Lee be a traitor today? Sure. Was he back then? Would he be today if the North had lost the civil war? Perspective’s a bitch.

Context is a bitch.

1 Like

General Lee fought against the United States and had his soldiers kill US military members.

Let me know when you actually put something in context.

Context, my friend, context.

At the beginning of the Civil War the United States was a plural.

Lee fought for his state.

Sure and before Lincoln decided to change it, the Union was formed by consent and the South was trying to break away from the Union. Were the Mexicans who fought us for Texas also traitors? Or were they simply fighting for their side?

Oh, come on.

Are you not reading my posts?

1 Like

Lincoln decided to change it… that is rich.

1 Like

It’s history.

https://www.nps.gov/liho/learn/historyculture/secessiontableofcontents.htm

Not that I expect you to actually know that.

The Confederate States claimed the right.

They did not have that right.

They were wrong.

Lincoln changed nothing.

Your opinion doesn’t change history. Or the facts.

It isn’t my opinion.

It is what actually happened.

Are you addressing this to me? If so, thanks for the insult.

I am merely saying that Lee acted honorably as he understood it. I am not saying he was right.

I said nothing about him being a slave-owner. When you said, he was “defending his state”, he was de facto defending slavery and trying to make black people second-class citizens. If he really wanted to “defend” his state, he should have fought for the Americans, so he could actually defend everybody in his state. That includes those who pick cotton and clean houses, and serve food.

You say it’s complicated, but Lee choose the wrong side to defend. That’s nothing to be proud of, or have your own school and be put up in parks and government building. Museum yes!

And yes, Lee was an evil man. Are you really going to defend an American traitor?

The Confederacy was not part of the United States.