Trump, Feinstein and Harris absolutely have got to meet in the middle somewhere and get some Judges on the bench in California NOW

No, it wasn’t. Obama could have nominated Lycurgus himself and it wouldn’t have mattered.

That is exactly what happened when MCConnell decided to starve the system of judges. Even in Texas where he had 2R Senators.

It was personal for McConnell

No, it wasn’t. McConnell has nothing against Garland.

Yes… It was.

He had a lot of abject malice towards Obama. It was personal. In fact he said it was his crowning achievement to do this as a spit in the face of Obama. McConnel is one of the reasons why ive figured out the GOP has been acting in completely bad faith since before twump. His hold over the senate was nothing short of tyrannical as he used his position like he owned the government.

1 Like

I don’t know, his absolute disrgard of legislation sent to him by the Dem. House suggests his being a jerk isn’t something personal about Obama.

(Oh my, I thought that the filter would catch that word.)

In the end, recriminations and finger pointing do not get judges on the bench.

Do Feinstein and Harris have a legitimate grievance against Republicans, particularly McConnell? Obviously they do.

But they need to think first of the millions of Californians who elected them and the millions more that constitute the population of California. They need to think of injured Californian’s awaiting justice in the Federal courts. They need to think both of the rights of criminal defendants to a speedy trial and the needs of the victims of crime to see a prompt resolution of criminal cases.

In short, they need to put the past behind them and bargain with Trump. They could get very close to a 50/50 split on Judges, which would still leave them in a very strong position, given the existing overall composition of the 4 Districts of California.

There will be more vacancies, they never end. And eventually Trump will not be President, whether in 2021 or 2025.

Yes, you have been wronged. But be bigger than that and put the interests of both Justice and your constituents first.

1 Like

No… it wasn’t. Garland wasn’t attacked. He wasn’t criticized. There were no demonstrations. It wasn’t about Garland.

Civil cases are taking less than 2 years in the Northern and Southern districts. At least that has been my experience.
California does have a rocket docket for cases that meet the criteria
California has a good number of cases involving multi district litigation. These cases semi to be moving faster in California compared to other states.
I don’t have any knowledge regarding calendaring for criminal cases. .
Feinstein and Harris should make their recommendations, if McConnell or trump don’t like them, send the recommendation back and choose again. Otherwise I don’t see anything happening until after November.
This is not Feinstein and Harris holding this up. It’s all on McConnell.

Oh bull ■■■■■ Why do you feeeel he has “abject malice towards Obama”?

No it wasn’t.

Yes it was…

No it wasn’t…

:roll_eyes:

I still don’t understand how F’stein and Harris prevent Trump from making appointments.

(Maybe I missed your response when I asked this earlier.)

Because he’s not a partisan and he only looks at the actual policies and structural issues.

He cares about government. :roll_eyes:

The Senate still retains the blue slip custom for District Court appointments. If BOTH Senators do not return their blue slips, the nomination does not go forward. Either Feinstein or Harris or both of them have failed to return blue slips on California’s District Judge nominees, thus the nominees do not get a hearing.

That is what is holding things up in this instance, not McConnell, who is not even involved in the process at this point.

This one “norm” that Republicans have chosen to keep, that of the blue slip.

1 Like

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Most welcome Lieutenant Lib

You have explained the blue slip process correctly but I dont think you assign enough blame to McConnell.
Take a look at Cruz and Cornyn. They suggested 5 or 6 judges to Obama. The sate of Texas was considered to be in a judicial emergency. Obama put forward the judges that Cruz and Cornyn had recommended.

Guess what happened to the blue slips? Hint: Senate Majority Leader’s desk drawer contained a few.

I see no reason to negotiate with McConnell on this. As far as Trump is concerned, he knows nothing about judges. This is all McConnell’s doing.

They’ve pretty made the constitutional guarantee of a speedy trial moot.

Trump isn’t making the recommendations on his own. He’s largely relying on The Federalist Society.