Trump Cites A Poorly Framed Poll Question

The question reads as follows: “President Trump has called the Special Counsel’s investigation a ‘witch hunt’ and said he’s been subjected to more investigations than previous presidents because of politics. Do you agree?”

This is a university polling group? There are two separate questions there. 1. Trump has called it a witch hunt. 2. He says he’s been subjected to more investigations because of politics.
A lousy question.

Yeah, it’s a terrible polling question. It begs how that question passed scrutiny before being added to the poll.

You know, I bet if Trump had his workers conduct that poll at a Trump rally, he could get those numbers up even higher.

Sean shared that tweet on his show earlier this afternoon. It didn’t make much sense when he said it and now I see why.

Here’s the question as asked on the poll (from the OP link)

This is the kind of information that’s missing from the conservative sources so depended upon.

“President Trump has called the Special Counsel’s investigation a ‘witch hunt’ and said he’s been subjected to more investigations than previous presidents because of politics. Do you agree?”

It is clear that to answer “yes” you have to believe that this investigation is a witch hunt and that he has been subject to more investigations. That is not an ambiguous question in the slightest.

If it had said do you agree that either it is a witch hunt or that he has been subjected to more investigations then the response could have been to either.

Vox is just desperate.

Yes. Vox … Vox is desperate.

1 Like

Not really, break the sentence down using the “and” to separate clauses.

1. President Trump has called the Special Counsel’s investigation a ‘witch hunt’
  2. [President Trump] said he’s been subjected to more investigations than previous presidents because of politics.

Do you agree with clauses 1 and 2?

It is quite ambiguous. Is it asking if you agree that he said those things but don’t agree with his rationale? Are you agreeing he only said the first or second clause, but agree with the rationale of the other?

It’s a poorly written question with several interpretations.

So “do you agree” applies to two questions. Do you agree it’s a badly posed, because ambiguously posed, question?

Holy ■■■■■■ Really?

PRESIDENT TRUMP HAS CALLED…

I don’t need to believe it’s a witch hunt. In fact it’s not even asking what I believe about the investigation. I just need to believe TRUMP called it a witch hunt.

It’s not ambiguous and yet you misunderstood what answering ‘yes’ meant.

No wonder it’s so hard to agree on anything. SHeeeshh.

Actually, it’s THREE assertions in ONE, further confusing the question:

1. Trump has called it a witch hunt
  2. Trump says he’s been subjected to more investigations than previous Presidents
  3. Trump says the investigation is because of politics

This poll question is as valid as Trump’s Presidency.

It’s not.

It is a poorly worded question.

It’s also an irrelevant question.

You kind of left out the “and”. Look up the definition of “and”. No ambiguity.

It is only ambiguous if you take out words from the sentence that are, indeed, in the sentence.

“And” is a conjunction. It is used to connect clauses. You separate clauses when evaluating sentence structure and syntax which is exactly what I did. I don’t think I’m the one who needs to revisit basic grammar.

1 Like

No. You need a refresher course in grammar. Look up the difference between “and” and “or”. Learn when you would use each. They are not interchangeable.

IOW…if you don’t like the answer, it wasn’t asked correctly…amirite?

Huh? I never made it an or statement.

I don’t mind the answer.

Yes Trump says it’s a witch hunt.
Yes Trump has been under greater scrutiny.
Yes, I agree with the above statements.

Answering “Yes” doesn’t mean I (or anyone besides the President) believes it’s a witch hunt.

1 Like

No, you are not right. It was a poorly constructed poll question by all measures of objective observation. Posts like this is why this place is frustrating at times. We debate reality, instead of politics.

Only if you understand the English language, yes, it does.

I coming off my “it can only mean” one thing. I moving to, only if you assume what you’re agreeing with.

It’s a poorly worded question with no definitive meaning for an answer of ‘yes’ or ‘no’.

I can agree the President said it without agreeing it’s a witch hunt.
or
I can agree it’s a witch hunt.

You can’t know how the question was interpreted when answered so the answer has no statistical validity.

1 Like