Trump an "absolute no" on Puerto Rico statehood, citing feud with mayor

Either make it a state or cut it loose.

The status quo is the last disgusting remnant of America’s two decade long experiment with imperialism.

1 Like

Awful lot of brown folks there that look suspiciously like mexicans and african americans, and most certainly can’t have anymore of them being full parts of the union. Besides having an extra star on the flag would look stupid, and as an added bonus they don’t have to be outraged by the NFL kneelers disrespecting their star, so it’s a win win for everyone!

Mexico island.

First…it’s not the president’s call.
Secondly…if he feels that way about PR, how about DC, USVI and Guam?
To the joker in here who said cut PR lose…very un-American of you.

those places don’t matter. they didn’t have high profile people who publicly crossed the king.

Seriously?

In July 1917, about 236,000 Puerto Ricans registered for the draft for World War I, and close to 20,000 served, said retired Marine Corps 1st Sgt. Ildelfonso “Pancho” Colon Jr. “Those that had to serve in combat had to leave Puerto Rico and enlist in New York,” he added.

During World War II, Navy Lt. Maria Rodriguez Denton, born in Guanica, Puerto Rico, became the first known woman of Puerto Rican decent to become a female Navy officer.

The Army’s 65th Infantry Regiment, a segregated Hispanic unit made up primarily of Puerto Ricans, was sent to Panama to protect the Pacific in 1943, and by 1944, was sent to France. They participated in the battles of Naples-Fogis, Rome-Arno, central Europe and Rhineland. The regiment had 23 soldiers killed in action.

About 61,000 Puerto Ricans served in the Korean War, including about 18,000 who enlisted in the continental United States, Colon said. Puerto Ricans distinguished themselves as part of the 65th Infantry Division, the “Borinqueneers,” receiving many awards and recognition, though they were involved in the largest court-martial of the Korean War.

During Vietnam, an estimated 48,000 Puerto Ricans served in the four service branches of the armed forces. Of the More than 340 Puerto Ricans died in combat, and 17 were listed as missing in action.

In 1990, about 1,700 Puerto Rican National Guardsmen were among the 20,000 Hispanics deployed to the Persian Gulf in Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm as part of the Gulf War.

The US spends more on Israel per year than it does Puerto Rico

3 Likes

Fine. We owe them. That is not the basis form making them a state we don’t need. I realize some want new permanent Dem senators for Puerto Rico, Wash DC and probably eventually Guam etc.
They can be repaid by making them an independent nation as well.

We already own it. They’re all American citizens.

1 Like

We’ve had them for a hundred twenty years.

No ■■■■■ Now that the gangs all here, maybe the op can answer.

Geez, you only care becuse of partisan politics? Christ man.

2 Likes

I don’t understand this means?

We could immensely improve their situation just by changing a single law put in as a rider in an appropriation bill by Richard Helms in the 1980s.

Some here would LOVE to make Israel the 51st state.

taxation without representation

LOL @making DC an independent nation. Yeah okay.

That’s all they care about. Party over country and its citizens as long as my team win.

3 Likes

Big time.

What is your basis?

Did you know that Puerto Ricans are very religious and conservative?

No. I said Democrats only care because of partisan politics.

Right and you oppose statehood because. . .?