Trump ‘Admonished’ By Official After He Asked Iraq For Oil as Payback For War, Per New Report

"It also earned Trump a rebuke from his former national security adviser, H.R. McMaster . A source told Axios that McMaster said: “We can’t do this and you shouldn’t talk about it. Because talking about it is just bad.”

“It’s bad for America’s reputation, it’ll spook allies, it scares everybody, and it makes us look like — I don’t remember if he used words this harsh — like criminals and thieves, but that was the point he was trying to get across,” the source added. “You won’t be able to do it anyway and you’ll harm our reputation and your own reputation just from talking about it.”

Not surprising is it? Heck, I’d say a ton of Trump Republicans and Republican Media think this would be a great move (until someone like McMaster explains the ramifications to them in private).

I’m glad that Trump has surrounded himself with those that can bring sense to some of his crazier ideas just as I’m glad “we” have a President who isn’t doing things the same-o, same-o way. There’s a positive on both sides of this even though through the eyes of TDS, many can’t see it.

1 Like

Is this the most ignorant person to ever hold high office? Trump is so stupid it doesn’t come as any surprise when he once again reveals his lack of intelligence.

Well, I guess we know why McMasters is gone now.

America gets exactly the government it deserves as we elect those who govern in this nation. Congratulations America - this one is a real doozy.

1 Like

McMaster was a solid choice, although he was always hamstrung in his role as NSC by Mattis. McMaster has also always been hated and all sorts of weird conspiracies brought up by the conspiracy grifters you have fallen under the sway of.

Being a sane, steady hand, McMaster was fired via tweet last March and replaced by John Bolton, who enjoys none of the credibility or reputation of HR McMaster, but has always been popular with the Q Anon crowd.

2 Likes

Asking is OK. Demanding is not. I have no problem asking Iraq for oil or oil industry deals in appreciation for ousting Saddam.

That does not make us thieves or pirates…That kind of talk is lunacy.

The nuance here is in just HOW Trump was “asking.”

1 Like

I remember when Bush made the decision to go into Iraq, it was circulated at that time that Iraqi oil would be used to pay for their liberation from Saddam. It wouldn’t be thrust upon the backs of taxpayers…which was another lie.

1 Like

If you were actually curious, you could look it up and over the last couple of years “taking Iraq’s oil” is a common theme from Trump.

One of the recurring themes of Donald Trump’s national security strategy is his plan to “take the oil” in Iraq and from areas controlled by Islamic State(Isis) extremists. It would drain Isis’s coffers and reimburse the US for the costs of its military commitments in the Middle East, the candidate insists.

At a forum hosted by NBC on 7 September, Trump suggested oil seizure would have been a way to pay for the Iraq war, saying: “We go in, we spend $3tn, we lose thousands and thousands of lives, and then … what happens is we get nothing. You know, it used to be to the victor belong the spoils.”

He added: “One of the benefits we would have had if we took the oil is Isis would not have been able to take oil and use that oil to fuel themselves.”

Giuliani defends Trump idea to take Middle East oil: ‘Anything is legal’ in war

Read more

The idea predates Trump’s presidential campaign. As far back as 2011, he was telling the Wall Street Journal that this was his policy for Iraq. “You heard me, I would take the oil,” he said. “I would not leave Iraq and let Iran take the oil.” And he insisted to ABC News that this did not amount to national theft.

“You’re not stealing anything,” Trump said. “We’re reimbursing ourselves … at a minimum, and I say more. We’re taking back $1.5tn to reimburse ourselves.”

As always, there isn’t any “nuance” to be found in Trump’s words unless someone is desperately trying to make Trump sound like he’s not a a craven no nothing ■■■■■■■■

1 Like

So you think ISIS making money on the petroleum reserves is a better idea?

I don’t. Trump is right that the violent Jihadi should not have the oil.

Iraq appears to still have trouble guarding the resource, so let’s make a deal.

So far nothing has been taken.

Stay on track here. You were trying to sow doubt about what Trump has been saying for years, i.e. “Did Trump say take, or did he say ask?” like it’s even a question. It’s a clumsy attempt at making Trump look like he’s not a craven ■■■■■■■■ and yours didn’t cut it since there years of Trump making public statements about “taking” Iraqi oil.

3 Likes

And yet Republicans all fell in line and believed the lies. Told liberals they hated America.

1 Like

I remember it well. I went to my wife’s high school reunion and this was the topic of conversation. I was strongly against the invasion and was lambasted by many but then…as now…I hold my ground. What I find humorous are all of those who develop amnesia regarding their positions when later down the road, they’re proven wrong.

Notice the current backpedaling from the Russian collusion meme that’s been hammered into the ground for 2 years by every liberal media source and now…as the truth is coming out, some libs don’t remember it that way. It’s the perfect example.

Saying we should take it and actually taking it are two different things.

I think we should demand some compensation. I thought we should have kept at least two bases in Iraq and none of this asking ■■■■■■■■ about the bases. No wonder the ISIS problem blossomed as soon as US troops left.

Trump is right that we should take the oil, but as the President he cannot make such demands. He can ask until he is blue in the face and should.

1 Like

Mueller hasn’t released his findings. How is it that the “truth is coming out” when no one knows that Mueller has found?

For all we know Mueller may come back and report that Donald Trump is completely clean and Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are in bed with some other country.

Sort of a “military for hire” kind of deal?

NO his predecessor was! I’d say dumb (Carter) and dumber (Obama) hold the titles!!

This article comes from a far left website quoting a far left source, so take that into account. :roll_eyes: It’s junk news and old news because private citizen Trump stated many times that our allies and those we’ve liberated should reimburse the USA for our blood, sweat, tears, it’s nothing new.

You keep bringing up TDS in others when you’re blind to the fact that you’re Stage 4 terminal yourself.

2 Likes

A Military presence to stabilize the region, it makes sense so that’s why liberals were and are against it.