Trump Administration about to limit access to citizenship for legal immigrants

Specifically the restrictions would be for any legal immigrant who used public welfare programs or who signed up for Obamacare and received subsidies.

This of course comes after we are all reassured that the Administration’s moves are all about illegal immigration and that this is not about those who wait in line.

Before anyone jumps in and says well why are they coming here for our welfare. That may be true but many of those who seek and are granted legal asylum or are granted refugee status need public support, some stay on it some use it as a stepping stone. Either way it should never prevent people from becoming citizens.

I thank the lawd every day that I received my legal status under Reagan and citizenship under Clinton.

2 Likes

Last time I checked this was still on the books.

from https://mx.usembassy.gov/visas/section-212a4-of-the-immigration-and-nationality-act/

(4) Public charge.-

(A) In general.-Any alien who, in the opinion of the consular officer at the time of application for a visa, or in the opinion of the Attorney General at the time of application for admission or adjustment of status, is likely at any time to become a public charge is inadmissible.

(B) Factors to be taken into account.- (i) In determining whether an alien is excludable under this paragraph, the consular officer or the Attorney General shall at a minimum consider the alien’s-

(I) age;

(II) health;

(III) family status;

(IV) assets, resources, and financial status; and

(V) education and skills

(ii) In addition to the factors under clause (i), the consular officer or the Attorney General may also consider any affidavit of support under section 213A for purposes of exclusion under this paragraph.

So, great.

Only a liberal would think America is better off with immigrants who leach from the system. I like immigrants who aren’t reliant on government handouts. Republicans aren’t against legal immigration; they just want to make sure the only legal immigrants are those who can take care of themselves, and who benefits America more than America benefits them.

Come 2021 I really hope president sanders works to revoke melania’s citizenship and deports her

well of course they would because of Trump law

Pretty sure she is in no danger of becoming a public charge.

US law, I already linked it for you.

Thanks Stephen Miller for making America white again!

Say what? Are you trying to imply that only people of color are capable of being public charges?

Trump law: When confronted with a choice no matter how simple and not matter how many possible solution, Trump (trump admin) will always pick the worse one, every time. when confronted with the repercussion of the choice Trump (trump admin) will always double down and make it worse.

2 Likes

And by worst choice here, you mean actually enforce the law as written.

2 Likes

Define public charge. Where is the line drawn?

no by worse choice is penalizing someone for accepting legal help, healthcare subs for example, if only for 1 year for whatever reason, from continuing the path to US citizen.

Maybe they should have taken the time to understand the law.

victim blaming to a new level, nice job.

Grotesque, but completely expected from the people who have spent years telling immigrants to strive for citizenship the “legal way”, only to now pull the rug out from under them on that path as well.

2 Likes

They are protecting the people they are supposed to protect, US citizens.

1 Like

Stephen Miller is worried about one thing only… S
What a sick man.

I was assured in 2009 that NO WAY would Obama Care or ACA 2009 be available to non-citizens of the USA.

So how does it happen that people did get subsidies?