Trump Admin stiffs 9/11 first responders fund

The Trump administration has secretly siphoned nearly $4 million away from a program that tracks and treats FDNY firefighters and medics suffering from 9/11 related illnesses, the Daily News has learned.

The Treasury Department mysteriously started withholding parts of payments — nearly four years ago — meant to cover medical services for firefighters, emergency medical technicians and paramedics treated by the FDNY World Trade Center Health Program, documents obtained by The News reveal.

Why, you may ask, would someone do this?

From the article -

After years of complaining, Prezant did get a partial answer when Long Island Republican Rep. Pete King put his political weight behind the inquiry. That answer was that some other agency in the city has been in an unrelated feud with the feds over Medicare bills.

So…seems like a pretty obviously ■■■■■■ thing to do. And here, following the anniversary of 9/11, I think we should all demand they reinstate the money dedicated to helping american heroes.

OMG… time to IMPEACH TRUMP.

Well done.

1 Like

While this is bad, I’m going to give Trump a partial pass and note this started happening in 2016…when Obama was President.

So it sounds like something strange going on at the Treasury itself and is not being directed by the President.

Let’s see if this gets fixed.

3 Likes

“Prezant said he was docked about half a million dollars each year in 2016 and 2017. Then it crept up to about $630,000 in 2018 and 2019. This year, Treasury has nearly tripled its extractions, diverting $1.447 million through late August, according to Prezant.”

Who was President in 2016?

It’s still Trumps fault.

Good, objective post.

I agree, it needs to be fixed and posthaste. I find it a bit disconcerting that King and Schumer are just now aware of this.

This is the bureaucracy once again screwing up what by accounts is a good program.

Hildawg did a good job of fighting for it when she was a carpetbagger Senator, maybe she could pick up the cause once again. Fitting behavior for former Senator/First Lady.

You know, I’ll agree with that.

It’s bad that it seems to have actually ramped up during trump, and it’s bad that it isn’t getting addressed, but why it started at all…that’s the root of the problem here.

Seems to me this has been a problem from day one as it were, beginning with approving funds in the first place.