Trudeau top adviser resigns as scandal drag on

Both the Attorney General and now top adviser to the Prime Minster have resigned as the SNC-Lavalin scandal grow closer to Trudeau himself.

OTTAWA – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s principal secretary Gerald Butts has resigned amid ongoing questions about alleged PMO interference in the SNC-Lavalin case.

In a lengthy statement about his resignation, Butts denies that he or anyone in the PMO pressured Jody Wilson-Raybould – who was the attorney general at the time – to have federal prosecutors pursue a remediation agreement rather than criminal prosecution in the corruption and fraud case against Quebec engineering and construction giant SNC-Lavalin.

“I categorically deny the accusation that I or anyone else in his office pressured Ms. Wilson-Raybould. We honoured the unique role of the Attorney General. At all times, I and those around me acted with integrity and a singular focus on the best interests of all Canadians,” Butts said in his statement. “Any accusation that I or the staff put pressure on the Attorney General is simply not true.”

Is it possible that this goes all the way to Trudeau?

very possible this might be the end of him politically and the Liberal in this 2019 election.

What does the political fallout look like?

Does it go back to Harper style of conservativism?

If this keep dragging on and the Conservatives capitalize on it they have a good chance of winning a majority in the next election. Liberal have built their whole federal party around Trudeau so they will be dead in the water for 2-4 years without leadership.

Ooooff… looks like they really brought this on themselves.

They did currently the PC have a slight poll advantage but depending on how long this scandal drag on that could grow or shrink. Canadian are not fixed into party voting and are a lot more likely to swing vote.

Doesn’t appear to be a lot of interest in the goings on in our 51st state. :wink:

we don’t get crazy political news up here often let us have this one.

this scandal is pretty boring when you look into one of the biggest company is accused of illegally lobbying high ranking government offical to not criminally charge them.

Wait, the scandal is that they went easy on a big lobbying company?

How absolutely quaint. (sobs brokenly)

You should be happy with boring.

Yep the last major scandal (2006) that the liberal were giving government contract with favoritism. that scandal destroyed the Liberal Federal party till Trudeau was elected. Canadian politics is so boring why do you think I post here.

I’m happy with Canada we are not stuck in party politics, people are not elected just to spite the other side. next election you will likely see a large percent of liberal voters voting for the conservatives because the liberals are running the government bad. just like when the conservatives were messing up a lot of their base voted NDP/Liberal.