Trudeau call snap election, Canadian go to the poll Sept. 20th

Early voting anyone? Absentee voting anyone?

All things the states passing laws retained. Georgia, Texas, etc.

Suppression. Racism. Fascism.

No, actually it confirms that the US election systems are uniquely insecure and vulnerable to hacking.

Dominion canā€™t sell their systems in their own country, why are they used here?

What are you talking about?

Dominion sells voting equipment all across Canada.

@CanadianJudo says that Canada uses paper ballots that are counted by hand.

One of you appears to be wrong.

No, he said that Canadian Federal elections use paper ballots that are counted by hand.

They use different systems for federal election than for local?

They donā€™t trust electronic systems for the most important elections. Perhaps the US should follow Canadaā€™s lead.

Youā€™re welcome to write to your state representatives with your concerns.

Theyā€™re the ones who decide.

some riding use electronic voting for provincial elections, its not very popular most use paper ballots.

federal election by law have to be paper ballot, and hand counted.

Completely ridiculous unless the point of the post is advocating that in the USA the votes should be counted by hand initially.

Question:

What, if anything, does Canada do to make voting easier?

Is early voting allowed?
Is mail in voting allowed?
Is the day a holiday?
Are there sufficient polling locations to
avoid long waits?

Voting in Canada is almost too easy.

1. Early voting is allowed,

2. mail in voting for any reason is allowed.

3. its not a holiday but employer are required to give two hours paid leave.

4. there are sufficient polling places if someone is waiting over an hour is seen as a failure by election Canada.

5. we have automatic registration, but if your not registered you can easily apply in on voting day, by simply providing ID and proof of residence. (Your automatically register when you get a DL, file taxes, etc)

6. the government will mail out voting information card tell you times and location of your local polling
    station.

7. voting is simple there are 3-4 names on a piece of paper and you mark one, no complex tickets.

Iv never waited more then 20 mins to vote in my life.

Just to provide a further contrast this was the situation in our last federal election:

We had a period of 3 weeks prior to the election for early voting

Postal voting is available for anyone who requests it

Our elections are held on a Saturday with polling places open from 8am to 6pm

My particular electorate is around 58 square miles in size with around 95,000 voters had 45 polling places open on the day of election . The size of each metropolitan electorate would have similar number of voters and polling places. In terms of country electorates it can vary. For example in the electorate of Durack that is over 629,000 square miles had significantly more polling places available.

I am able to attend any polling place in my state of over 975,000 square miles and cast my vote.

I personally have never waited more than 15 minutes to vote at any election.

No photo id and/or signature checking is required

We use preferential voting in the lower house and proportional representation for the upper house.

We use paper ballots and pencils to record our vote and counted by hand with scrutineers available at each polling place to watch the counting of the votes.

The turnout was around 90%.

Its also a crime to not vote in Aus.

Crime might be a little strong. We do have mandatory voting and a fine for not voting.

20$ ticket from what I recall, I like the idea.

I expect it varies between states, territories and federally. I am not sure what it is as I have never not voted.

Just checked: $20 federal election and $20 for first time and $50 after that in Western Australia.

You are not fined if you can provide valid and sufficient reason for not voting. For example, if one was in a coma in hospital that would be considered a valid and sufficient reason. Similarly, in hospital having a baby on election day would also be sufficient.

May the best man or woman, metro male or metro woman win the Canadian freedom lotto.

Thank you for the response.

To my conservative friends: if we can have all of thatā˜, I would totally support voter id.

Wow, another system better than ours. I donā€™t really care about Iā€™d for voting, let the Cons have it.

But here, the Cinservative objective is to make voting harder.

1 Like