Truck Driver gets 110 year sentence. Petition wants his sentence commuted

Where is that obligation to accept it?

Amendment?

I hope the defendant appeals.

1 Like

I agree to a point. However, I feel no obligation to just accept rogue prosecutions, or unjust laws. I do not have to accept them either. I can have my opinion.

Further, some laws I feel no obligation to obey. Do away with the 1st & 2nd amendments for instance, I would not obey or roll over. In the case of several laws they are so egregious & wrong, they should be opposed the same. Unjust prosecutors should have the law turned on them. Their prosecutions overturned as well. There are times it has happened.

In this case it is true injustice: Watch Cops Seize Combat Vet's Life Savings [RARE FOOTAGE] - YouTube

It is highway robbery. Civil asset forfeiture is an evil law.

To me, even if this man was breaking a law, they should not be allowed to take anything.

If upon conviction, for instance, if the fine is say $1,000, they should only be allowed to fine him the $1,000.

Not take other property. Not for drugs, not for theft, not for murder. ONLY the fines or prison terms under the penalties in the law.

Thatā€™s a subject for another thread. It has no bearing on the guy convicted of manslaughter in this thread.

1 Like

Perhaps our predecessors should have just accepted black people only being 3/5 human because it was in the Constitution.

The above is total sarcasm.

Americans arenā€™t obligated to accept anything at all, and last I heard we still had the right to peaceful protest.

Signing and funding a petition, whether average or famous, is the First Amendment right to peaceful protest.

In case people didnā€™t know. The 27 counts wereā€¦

Four counts of vehicular homicide
Six counts of first-degree assault
Ten counts of attempt to commit assault in the first degree- extreme indifference
Two counts of vehicular assault- reckless
One count of reckless driving
Four counts of careless driving causing death.

Sorry, but if I were him, I would have chosen a judge trial. Iā€™ve done it once in the past. I donā€™t trust a jury of my peers unless I am trying to get away with something. Why? Because people are stupid. If I know Iā€™m guilty, give me my dumb peers. If Iā€™m innocent, I want a judge trial.

Not a chance they can come to that verdict from eyewitness testimony from idiots on the roadway. Not a chance. `They screwed the pooch on this one.

ā€œBecause people are stupid.ā€

I agree 1,000% with that statement. Idiot jurors blamed racism on this creepā€™s indictment and acquitted him:

To be fair, they were denied information about his kidnapping, raping and burying two young pregnant women who survived.

Thereā€™s an interesting post script about Hartā€™s vasectomy at the end of this production, warning, it is a sad one:

Once again ā€¦ Not relevant to the issue in this thread.

Did you read the responded to posterā€™s statement about how, if guilty, it heā€™d take his chances on dimwitted jurors?

He was right.

Jurors donā€™t always get the information to make well informed decisions with regards to verdict.

That is the point others are trying to make to counter the must accept the juryā€™s decision attitude.

No, nobody has to accept anything. There was a juror who lied in response to questions about being affected by domestic violence and in legal proceedings to be on the jury of Scott Petersonā€™s 2004 trial.

Juries arenā€™t infallible. Youā€™re on your own in this thread.

I donā€™t know what you want from me here. I already stated that oneā€™s disagreement with some other case doesnā€™t make all jury cases invalid.

Quit pestering me with whatabouts.

This is the part of your post I think is exactly right. Not that I disagree with the rest, but this is my main focus. It is my opinion that there is no way the jury could convict a man on the 27 charges they convicted him with, on eyewitness testimony from drivers on the roadway alone. Did you read those convictions? It isnā€™t possible. There has to be something else more concrete or I am calling BS.

When I was 27 I was charged with aggravated assault. Did I do it? Absolutely. But it was in self defense. Everything pointed to self defense. I was found not guilty. Not a chance I would trust a jury of my peers.

Itā€™s a fair opinion if the highlighted word were not a guess.

And you have nothing to base that guess on.

Which is why in another post I said there had to be something concrete other than eyewitness testimony alone. The reason for the guess was based on several videos in regards to this case. But since I wasnā€™t at the trial, it is still a guess based on what Iā€™ve read and heard. I canā€™t find anything besides eyewitness testimony and a short video or two. Perhaps there was a camera that caught a lot more of what went on.

10 seems fairer.

Yes it does.

Iā€™m in total agreement with Governor Polis.

To apply guidelines without considering the individualā€”for example, did he express remorse or have priorsā€”is arbitrary.

He did not absolve Mr. Aguilera-Mederos of blame, just reduced his sentence.

1 Like

That depends on what was admissible in court and how well the prosecution and defense did their jobs.

I donā€™t know how it is handled in Colorado but in Florida, the jury delivers the verdict and the judge does the sentencing, the jury doesnā€™t even sit in during the sentencing process. We didnā€™t hear everything, just the stories the prosecution and defense told, and neither one was giving the complete truth.

Hereā€™s my problem. Why is 10 fair? If he caused the death of multiple people through his idiocy, why is 10 fair? If he simply lost his breaks and it was an accident, why is he getting 10? Iā€™m trying to figure this out.

Look at the charges he was convicted of. All 27. If those are true, 10 is a joke. If they arenā€™t, he shouldnā€™t even be getting 10. They are basing a lot of his conviction on bypassing the truck ramp. Did he do that on purpose? Or did he just miss it in panic?

Personally, I believe he was not acting maliciously but definitely negligent - his negligence led to four people losing their lives - therefore some punishment is prudent. 10 years feels appropriate even if heā€™s eligible for parole in 5.

Heā€™s out in 7 1/2 years, with or without parole.

If youā€™re right, then I agree with you. It does sound about right. But the commuted sentence doesnā€™t only fix the 110 year mistake, it mocks the juryā€™s verdict. Read through the 27 counts. If he was truly guilty of that, he should be getting 20-30.