Truck Driver gets 110 year sentence. Petition wants his sentence commuted

Making it about another poster in other threads?

Whatever.

Looks like you’re on your own in this one. Nobody here disputed him being behind the wheel, although it appears from another poster’s link the vehicle was not owned by him.

Where is the accountability for the owner, who has been cited for previous safety violations involving braking systems, yet was allowed to start another trucking company?

Mr. Aguilera-Mederos is serving another individual’s time.

Jury determined otherwise.

Jury determined he was at fault.

Generally speaking, are juries capable of reaching unjust verdicts ?

The owner wasn’t charged. The jury was given Mr. Aguilera-Mederos. I wonder why no grand jury for the owner?

And drunk drivers who kill …

It doesn’t work that way. A driver with a CDL doesn’t just take the keys and ride on out. It is his responsibility to do a pre-trip before he drives off in that vehicle. Any pre-trip would have exposed an air brake issue. It’s not the owner’s fault that he didn’t do one. And let’s face it, most drivers don’t.

1 Like

Apparently the jury determined he was purposely driving recklessly. He was convicted on 27 counts. They came to that determination in part because he passed that ramp for trucks that lose their breaks. They believe he was doing almost twice the speed limit, which led to the bad ending. He very well may have lost his breaks, and in a panic, missed the ramp.

The 110 years is a result of the 27 counts being run consecutively as opposed to concurrently.

He made some bad judgements.

Once the brakes failed he had an opportunity to divert his truck and did not and plowed it into many cars. Killing and maiming people.

“Mr. Aguilera-Mederos was driving a truck on Interstate 70 in Lakewood, Colo., just west of Denver, on April 25, 2019, when it crashed into several cars, killing four people.

He said malfunctioning brakes were the main cause of the crash. Prosecutors argued that he was responsible for the deaths because of the decisions he made while driving, including not steering the truck onto a runaway truck ramp along the highway”

So clearly the owner of the truck was at fault for the brakes but he didn’t steer the truck so that it would hit cars, that was on the defendant.

And yes they will shorten the sentence. I am sure everyone agrees with that.

Well maybe expect one of the victims wife.

“Gage Evans, whose husband, William Bailey, died in the crash, told The New York Times on Sunday that she did not believe Mr. Aguilera-Mederos’s sentence should be commuted.

“This person should spend some time in prison and think about his actions,” said Ms. Evans, 65. “I don’t think he should be let off with a slap on the wrist.“

Allan

I was wondering about that. I know men who work driver jobs, but not the sort that require a CDL.

Thank you for that information.

I still believe the sentence should be shortened, but he shouldn’t get back his CDL.

He did that on purpose ?

Anyway, my question is still whether or not a jury - any jury - is capable of reaching an unjust verdict since OP’s entire point here appears to be “Jury says so, get over it”

Jurors are human beings and human beings make errors. They work with the information given them.

Potential flaws in information offered are stealth jurors who have an ulterior motive and should not serve, and prosecutors who violate disclosure rules.

So yes, I do believe jurors are capable of making erroneous decisions.

1 Like

Can’t he appeal?

The jury thinks so. Just read through the 27 counts. You can come to no other conclusion. The speed limit on that road for trucks is 45mph. He was doing 85. Now I’m sure he didn’t intend on getting into a wreck, but the jury believed he was driving recklessly, and it led to the wreck.

Just because he didn’t take the truck ramp, doesn’t mean he purposely bypassed it in order to slam into cars. He may have simply missed it in a panic.

85?!

On second thought, oh, ■■■■■

Definitely guilty but still don’t think he should serve life.

To be honest, I’m not sure he is guilty of the charges. But I didn’t hear the wittiness testimony. Could he have just lost his brakes, and that led to the high speed?

Either way, they usually take the highest charge, then run the sentences concurrently. So under normal circumstances he would get 15-25 if they believe he was purposely being reckless. Running sentences consecutively is usually reserved for career criminals.

This is strictly a remote possibility. Only about 10% of eyeglass prescriptions in the U S are for visual alignment problems, the so called lazy eye, and mine’s one of them.

Developed double vision in the right eye, and even with the double vision supressed, I couldn’t say how many times I’ve missed everything from signs to destinations on the right side. May I assume the truck ramp would have involved a swerve to the right?

As I said visual alignment problems really are uncommon, but might something undiagnosed like a vision problem be at fault here? Or, more likely, might the driver have missed the ramp in panic mode?

I am pretty sure at the time of the accident the driver was 23. He’s 26 now. I could be wrong. But yes, he would have to go off to his right. I’m guessing his eyes were fine.

I have a hard time believing he bypassed the ramp if he was out of control. No one in their right mind would do that. But the jury thought he either bypassed the ramp on purpose because he was ok with his speed, or he chose to hit cars instead of the ramp. I find both hard to believe.

I have a CDL and drove many different types of vehicles for my roadway. We do have reckless drivers, but they are extremely rare. I can’t emphasize that point enough. It’s not like driving a fast car. You have to be borderline suicidal to purposely drive reckless in a big rig, or any truck.

If he didn’t intend, that’s not on purpose

I don’t think you understand. You do realize that someone can drive recklessly without the intent to cause damage, right? I’ve had fast cars throughout my entire youth and drove them at excessive speeds. The intent is never to get into a wreck. You’re being punished for intentionally driving recklessly.