Trolls are ruining any chance of actual discussion

The problem is that when the trolls come along in a thread, and start declaring “TDS” or “Trump is cool” or “Venezuela” or “lol libz” or “hur hur sheople” then those of us just trying to read and participate in the thread have to sift through all the nonsense to get to actual discussion threads.

On the old forum, the ignore function helped with that. Since that option doesn’t exist here, we have to waste time sifting through nonsense.

If I can’t “name and shame” a person when they engage in flagrant trolling, and flagging isn’t doing its job toward trolls, because they keep getting away with it, then we need something else to be done. Trolls need long-term consequences so those of us interested in actually discussing topics can do so.

1 Like

Once again, my supposed intrusion would consist of a single post if no one decides to engage me. What you are referring to is the resultant pile on. I could understand where that might be distracting. Simple solution is not to pile on. :wink:

My posting history will clearly show that I engage in substantive discussion more often than not. My post tallies are inflated by responding to those who choose to pile in response to my occasional Trump Bashing comment.

I believe you believe your posting history shows that. What we, as your fellow posters are telling you is that your posting history does not show that.

4 Likes

That was a nice framing job there.

:grin:

The problem is that folks are willing to side step facts just to gain some partisan/political points for their ideological beliefs. When there isn’t a viable rebuttal then the trolling begin. If it goes against beliefs/stance, instead of discussing and debating FACTS, many want to get into their feelings. Look, ■■■■ your feelings, get out of them and deal with the facts. If you can’t deal with facts then there is no need for a debate.

1 Like

You came into mine and said I have tds.

Address the post, not the poster.

Lol. You offered no discussion except TDS.

Allan

Just ignore them…

1 Like

Trolls only win when you start responding to them…

Alot of posters i just scroll by without reading the posts…

4 Likes

Irrelevant. Trolling is trolling, whether it’s 1 post or a dozen.

Simple solution is for either you to not troll, or you to be sanctioned with a silence, time out, or ban for your continued, and admitted, trolling.

I’ve already addressed the “ignore them” suggestion:

I can ignore, but I can’t stop others from doing so. Which means the rest of us trying to participate have to sift through their garbage.

I want for us to either be able to call out trolls without deletions/sanctions, or have trolls actually held accountable for consistent trolling with more than just post deletions.

Occasionally dropping in on a Trump bashing free for all isn’t really trolling. Once again the simple solution is to simply ignore my single post and move on. I only respond in kind and won’t post a second response if no one chooses to engage me.

I’m not sure how that would be fair.

Trump bashing has nothing to do with serious discussion. It is denigrating jovial banter at the President’s expense. That’s all fine and dandy, but I should be allowed to participate in that banter as well.

I’ve never explicitly stated that any forum member has TDS.

Once again, if you filter out all of my responses to the Trump Basing pileons, you will find that the vast majority of my posts are part of a substantive discussion.

So you admit to trolling anyone who “takes the bait”? OK :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Not even remotely. I don’t consider jumping into the middle of a Trump bashing free for all as trolling.

That’s like taking away all of Barry Sanders’ long runs and realizing he was tackled behind the line of scrimmage more often than any other running back in NFL history.

2 Likes

Sure…and we should be allowed to respond as long as we do so in a way that isn’t offensive. But we are increasingly seeing that isn’t the way things work. I don’t think anyone directed anything especially bad at you last night. Despite that, a thread was closed, gutted from 135+ posts to less than 60, and any real discussion about Nielsen being forced to resign was therefore basically done.

So it then reaches the point of asking, if any real response to posters such as yourself is likely going to end up getting flagged and deleted, is there any real point in even making the attempt? Or should I simply just pretend you and about a dozen other posters don’t exist?