Trolls are ruining any chance of actual discussion

Irrelevant. Trolling is trolling, whether it’s 1 post or a dozen.

Simple solution is for either you to not troll, or you to be sanctioned with a silence, time out, or ban for your continued, and admitted, trolling.

I’ve already addressed the “ignore them” suggestion:

I can ignore, but I can’t stop others from doing so. Which means the rest of us trying to participate have to sift through their garbage.

I want for us to either be able to call out trolls without deletions/sanctions, or have trolls actually held accountable for consistent trolling with more than just post deletions.

Occasionally dropping in on a Trump bashing free for all isn’t really trolling. Once again the simple solution is to simply ignore my single post and move on. I only respond in kind and won’t post a second response if no one chooses to engage me.

I’m not sure how that would be fair.

Trump bashing has nothing to do with serious discussion. It is denigrating jovial banter at the President’s expense. That’s all fine and dandy, but I should be allowed to participate in that banter as well.

I’ve never explicitly stated that any forum member has TDS.

Once again, if you filter out all of my responses to the Trump Basing pileons, you will find that the vast majority of my posts are part of a substantive discussion.

So you admit to trolling anyone who “takes the bait”? OK :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Not even remotely. I don’t consider jumping into the middle of a Trump bashing free for all as trolling.

That’s like taking away all of Barry Sanders’ long runs and realizing he was tackled behind the line of scrimmage more often than any other running back in NFL history.

2 Likes

Sure…and we should be allowed to respond as long as we do so in a way that isn’t offensive. But we are increasingly seeing that isn’t the way things work. I don’t think anyone directed anything especially bad at you last night. Despite that, a thread was closed, gutted from 135+ posts to less than 60, and any real discussion about Nielsen being forced to resign was therefore basically done.

So it then reaches the point of asking, if any real response to posters such as yourself is likely going to end up getting flagged and deleted, is there any real point in even making the attempt? Or should I simply just pretend you and about a dozen other posters don’t exist?

That’s the definition of trolling.,…

Your “solution” is that you are such an obnoxious and useless poster that people have to ignore you? If someone takes the bait and “engages you”, than you further troll the the thread?

OK :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I honestly don’t know what happened to the Neilson thread. Maybe the mods can jump in here and give us some insight.

I’d like to suggest that the term TDS be separated out into its two components.

There is R-TDS - in which most (but not all) people who voted for Trump refuse to see him for what he really is and ignore all proof of what he really is.

Then there’s D-TDS, in which most people who didn’t vote for Trump refuse to see that he’s done some good.

My own view is that Trump’s complete awfulness outweighs the “some good” by a wide margin.

1 Like

This thread has 42 replies. Within those, Peek has said “trump bashing” TEN TIMES.

3 Likes

Huh…weird.

4 Likes

No its not. A troll is someone who continuously does a hit and run completely off topic. An example would be for me to repeatedly respond to multiple posts about some unrelated topic in a thread and then move on to another thread to do the same.

That isn’t remotely what is going on here. I simply jumped into the middle of a Trump Bashing free for all with a single post. I didn’t derail the OP discussion, because that had pretty much run its course after the first few posts.

I would have moved on after that single post, if not for the resulting pile on.

I wish it was the last time I had to type this out.

Troll posts: Ignore them an move on. If a poster continues to troll a thread (not the first one, not the second but by the third time) go back and flag them all and let us know. We don’t see all posts in all threads. Sometimes we go through an entire thread and clean it up (this last week deleting the troll posts/pone liners and their quotes half a thread dissapeared – but then I spent an hour deleting posts of “our posts are disapearing before our eyes” and one received a suspension for their contempt of mod over it.

As mod’s we take flak for deleting a lot of posts (you guys are over moderating), and if we hold back we get flak for “not taking care of the problem”. We THOUGHT the big talk about it and get it out of your system thread would help. Apparently not.

The thread was a troll thread that lacked discussion over the resignation of Nielsen, but rather reverted to what a lot of the threads have devolved into, and that’s smart wisecracks about Trump. Make a troll thread, get trolling responses. The thread was made in bad faith and so were the responses. I should have just deleted it and been done with it, but I tried to salvage the thread, as it was a top news story.

1 Like