Trickledown economics

So His Majesties glorious new Tory government, which is COMPLETELY different from the previous Tory government, is a firm believer in supply side theory and is cutting income tax.

Nevermind that all the benefit of this goes to the richest while the rest have to struggle in a cost of living crisis, the immediate effect is a good, old fashioned run on the pound.

Interest rates are going to have to go up sharply.

Hope this all blows over by the time my fixed rate mortage expires next year.

Brexit is going swimmingly, thanks for asking.

Brexit is just fantastic. I am particularly excited by the trade deal with the US that Johnson along with the likes of Farage touted as a key benefit of Brexit. Oh yes thats right Truss had to admit that was dead in the water.

And this morning just learnt that Doncaster airport is closing. But Truss said they were on the case and committed to saving the airport.

I suspect Truss will not be PM for long. Already hearing that letters of no confidence albeit by just a few MPs right now are circulating.

Trickle down economics is term first coined by vaudeville humorist Will Rogers.
He used it in opposition to bank bailouts.

Its natural successor therefore is things like PPP loans and green energy subsidies, but somehow the term got twisted and is now used to refer to tax cuts.

Oh well

4 Likes

So basically Obama’s “too big to fail” bank bailout was actually trickle down economics. This is how the media uses doublespeak.

Yes.

The left expropriated the term and misuses it today. There are probably more important causes for us to take up, but yeah, they stole our phrase.

1 Like

“The money was all appropriated for the top in the hopes that it would trickle down to the needy.” Will continues, “Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickled down. Put it uphill and let it go and it will reach the driest little spot. But he didn’t know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellow’s hands.”

No mention of bank bailouts.

2 Likes

it’s because they went green. Just like Putin wanted…

top??
Appropriated??

Which top do you think the money was being appropriated to?

Reconstruction Finance Corporation, established in January 1932, lent tax dollars to bail out American banks and businesses.
Before FDR, Herbert Hoover Tried His Own 'New Deal' | HISTORY

How is government doing it with tax money not “trickle down”?

1 Like

Not nearly as much as he wanted Brexit

The EU is not a democratic org. You can tell because the people can’t vote for it’s leaders.

PPP loans, okay. But green subsidies aren’t trickle down.

No. That was an effort to prevent the system from crashing, full stop.

You can debate whether or not they should have done it, but it wasn’t trickle down.

Hoovers bailouts were the same as the Bush-Obama bailouts. They were each efforts to keep the system from crashing. No real difference between the two sets of bailouts

Words get co-opted all the time but “trickle down” was originally coined to oppose bailouts of big banks and (and other industries.)

Okay. According to modern usage, the 2009 bail outs weren’t trickle down.

1930’s "Help the little guy, by saving the system by bailing out banks.
2009 "Help the little guy, by saving the system, by bailing out banks.

Same stuff. No difference except the left liked it this time.

2 Likes

Helping the little guy was incidental to propping up the system. The little guy didn’t receive any additional benefit from the bail out, only the maintenance of the status quo.

That’s why it’s not trickle down.

According to modern usage.

I live in the UK, mate.

We have a King and an unelected second chamber.

Not exactly leading the world in the electability of our leaders over here.

1 Like

Send me some good cider😀

I still say it’s no coincidence the late Queen’s last official act was her official meet and greet with Truss.

Afterwards, she probably thought “oh…no way am I sticking around for this travesty to unfold”.

Sorry…too soon?

4 Likes