Top Virginia Republican was editor of a yearbook with blackface photos

I did…and I do. I find it a problem when people LOOK for problems, when they really aren’t there OR…they’re so miniscule that pointing it out…more reflects on the discernment of the accuser because, regarding problems…the area being examined is a target rich environment.

So you really think this is miniscule?

Somebody went and looked for the Northam pictures. I didn’t see any angst over that.

Yes…only in that it’s a clue. Now look for the footprints of what you suspect before drawing a conclusion. Hate is innate. It remains. Look where it’s been in all those years…if…it truly exists?

Welcome to my world. Sometimes they delete me for several days. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Any time a Democrat gets into trouble caught doing something illegal, or
immoral, such as Racist or Sexist acts, it’s always the Republicans fault some how.

I thought they hated “whataboutism”. Guess I was wrong.

They just hate it when your side does it.

Now let’s pretend your side doesn’t do it.

For context realize that Virginia was run by segregationist Democrats, and VMI was still whites-only at the time of the yearbook. The first African-American cadets were not admitted until September 1968, and state colleges did not fully desegregate until 1972.

https://vmi.edu/archives/vmi-archives-faqs/vmi-history-timeline/

Yep. That’s the difference between 1986 and 1968. In 1968 there were still a number of segregated schools and no public segregated schools by 1986.

Well he’s not the top republican in the state and he was the editor, not the guy who took the pictures or wrote the stories.

That was over fifty years ago, we live in a new age, what was widely accepted in that era no longer is.

You can’t honestly judge people and events in history by modern moral standard.

One of the most virulently racist politicians in the country of that era became VP under JFK and then succeeded him as Potus leaving office a year after that annual was published.

Robert Byrd former Klan Grand Wizard was among the most powerful democrats in office at that time.

Both are viewed as heroes of the Civil Rights Era Today.

People change, parties change and times roll on. Your own party leaders of today and the last fifty years can’t even stand up to the standard you are now setting.

Accepted by who exactly? I don’t think black people ever thought black face was acceptable or not racist.

Funny how people make allowances for things when it’s _their_party under the gun.

Black People made up about 7% of the population at the time and many of the black actors of that era and prior participated in similar comedy.

To most of the country it was perfectly acceptable up until the swing began in the late sixties.

The question of ending institutional racism split the democratic party in in 68 enabling the election of the republican candidate Nixon.

My position is the same irrespective of party. You haven’t seen me calling for any of the democrats with similar problems in their past to be driven from office.

On the contrary I have said all along that democrats are setting a standard their own party can’t stand up to.

Are you for real right now?

Today? It certainly is “minuscule”. If it weren’t you wouldn’t have to be digging back forty to sixty years to find something with which to beat these folks over their heads.

Break out a copy of “Gone With the Wind” and watch it. Watch the “Little Rascals”.

Read up on “The Dixiecrats” and the 68 election.

Watch virtually anything featuring Scatman Kruthers and ask me that again.

Attitudes began changing in the late 50’s but the big swing in attitudes nationwide didn’t come until the late sixties into the seventies.

I hope you’re not trying to argue that black face wasn’t racist back then because it was more widely “accepted” and some black entertainers participated in those productions.

Try real hard to read what’s actually written and then think before replying.