Tipping industry

Them were the days, except I rocked the rollerblades. The key to maximizing tips was to get some speed, smash into the order kiosk (without spilling anything), and apologize because it was my “first day” on wheels. Worked every time. lol

1 Like

^

He doesn’t know how to use the three seashells!!!

2 Likes

5 Likes

Wouldn’t they just raise the prices of the food to what the customer ultimately pays post tip?

If it’s a $100 meal, and they tip $20, why would they care if it costs $120? Extra 20 goes to the salary of the staff.

And BTW - tipped employee min. wage is about $2.15 today.

You’d still be free to give anyone more money.

Leaving something out, the employer has to make up the difference between that and minimum wage if the employee doesn’t make enough tips to reach minimum.

But it would be more awkward. Try tipping a French waiter sometime. Sniff, Msr, I do not need your pity, I earn a sufficient salary. Besides, if they make a decent salary, why would I give them charity?

2 Likes

Provide a cheap laugh for a few seconds worth of dialog? :wink:

2 Likes

A friend of mine routinely clears 150 dollars per night at an Olive Garden. Granted it’s in a high end community but still. The dude has been doing it since we were 20. He makes a lot more than I do.

3 Likes

Yeah, you can make a lot of money as a server. I worked at a Chili’s in an airport terminal for a while, and regularly had $300-$400 dollar nights 2 or 3 times a week.

I did the math, and I made more money at that Chili’s in a year than I do now, as an (almost) lawyer.

1 Like

Money is fantastic depending on where you work but it comes with a cost. Having to personally deal with the public.

Mediocrity.

I did it for about a decade or so, never had much problem with the public excepting a few late night drunks when bartending. And they just amuse me.

Yep, cold cafe while your French waiter is outside on a smoke break.

2 Likes

I do think they should be paid minimum wage.

They are. If your tips don’t take you up to minimum the employer has to bridge the gap.

Whether it adds up or not. Min wage for the work, tips for the service.

2 Likes

Robot waiters are easy

So you would rather they be dependent on your charity than to make an honest wage?

Said differently, they wouldn’t need your charity if the restaurant paid them a living wage.