Time to push School Choice

I have to leave but something just occurred to me…now is the time to promote school choice. And allow private schools to open…and push tax credits for parent that want to take their kids out of public schools. Take those tax credits from federal funds.

Now I know the democrat congress won’t pass it…but will put them on defensive.

More thoughts later.

1 Like

School choice is a good idea. I sent mine to Christian University(There really weren’t private k-12 schools in the rural area we lived in) and my middle daughter and husband are sending theirs to private Christians schools from preschool through college! :+1: :grin:

3 Likes

Absolutely! Great idea.

Why federal? It should be local.

Aren’t k-12 schools mostly paid for by local taxes?

2 Likes

Now why didn’t the GOP think of this when they had the House, the Senate, and the White House? Things that make you go hmmmmmm …

3 Likes

Both. :sunglasses:

Were people homeschooling anyway because of an epidemic then?

1 Like

Never let a crisis go to waste?

They’re doing it anyway. What better time?

I don’t really have a problem with tax credits for people that want to homeschool equal to their annual direct contributions to public schools.

#1 I disagree that it should come from Federal funds as individual schools divisions receive only - on average - about 10% of overall funding from federal sources and those are typically targets to low income and special education. But if there are to be 1:1 credits it should be based on the taxing agency not absorbed by FedGov.

#2 To take such a credit, the child should be formally removed from public education responsibility and the parent sign legally binding notification that the school system will no longer be required to maintain infrastructure to support the child (classroom space, transportation, extra curricular activities, etc.) and that parents cannot re-enroll the student in public schools for two years calendar years or the completion of the second school year after any school year in which the credit was claimed.

Basically if the student is withdrawn, the public school system funding should go down and the school division therefore isn’t responsible anymore.
.WW, PSHS

How about the people wanting to send their kids to private schools get jobs to pay for it instead of taking money from the taxpayers? And if their jobs don’t pay enough then take Ivanka advice and “do something else”.

4 Likes

If you want to send your child to a private school then go for it just dont ask for any special tax credits.

1 Like

A tax credit is typically a 1:1 reduction of tax owed for the subject of the credit.

So using Virginia as an example. The income tax rate is about 6%, of that 45% of the budget is school funding. So the Education Tax Credit being proposed means they would be allowed to deduct 45 cents on the dollar

So if…

Income = $50,000
Total Tax = $3,000 in State Tax
Education as a function of tax = $1,350
Cost of Private School is $10,000-$14,000 in VA

That means a person’s tax bill would be reduced by $1,350, however their tuition would still be over $10,000. Even if 100% was applied to tax reduction, there would still be $7,000 - $11,000 in tuition (not including other costs.)
.WW, PSHS

That helps clarify it for for me. Thanks. As long as its not a tax credit higher then i have no issues.l but i still have a feeling people can game the system.

I just dont want my tax dollars subsidzing someone who wants to send their kids to private school.

Funding public schools i have no issue with.

Typically a “deduction” is a reduction in taxable income on which the tax is then calculated. A “credit” is a reduction in the tax owed. Credits typically have a bigger impact on bottom-line taxes when compared to a deduction.
.WW, PSHS

About 8 and half percent of schools funding comes from federal government if myu memory serves me correct.

Use it. Also have mixed online and class room education to lower the cost as well.

Time is ripe for private schools. If teacher unions want to punish Trump and Trump supporters by holding people kids hostage…then now is perfect time to make that push.

My sister was - her kids have been home schooled their entire academic career.

And they still have to pay taxes on public schools.

If I ever have kids, I’ll probably send them to school rather than homeschool. Ideally, I’d like to send them to a good private school, depending on how I’m doing financially.

And that needs to change.

1 Like