Time to move the US capital?

An interesting post-apocalyptic novel I read, “Lucifer’s Hammer”, dealt with society after a comet broke up and smashed into the earth in several locations. Most hits were in the oceans, which created giant tidal waves and stirred so much moisture into the atmosphere that it rained for weeks straight across the globe. Massive amounts of the USA were flooded (Washington DC included), and eventually the government re-formed in Colorado Springs, which is 6000 feet above sea level and was not washed out. (One other reason for that location was the amount of military installations there.)

Moscow?

What’s the attraction? The abandoned buildings of the former national capital?

Have you ever been to DC? Museums (all the Smithsonian museums and many others), all the monuments, Arlington National cemetery, National mall, Kennedy Center, National Zoo, etc.

I say we move the capital to Trump Tower. Then we can bow towards Trump Tower and pray 5 times a day.

Well, actually, I won’t be participating - but everyone can have that option.

1 Like

Those are all moving to Kansas City, remember?

That would be idiotic.

I didn’t start the thread. :slight_smile:

Historic stuff can stay in DC even after the capital moves. Think colonial Williamsburg or civil war battlefields.

Of course another advantage would be getting rid of the name of our exiting capital. “Washington, District of Columbia” honors two white-male slave-holders and killers of native Americans.

In contrast, the name “Kansas” is of native origin:
https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/kansas/state-name-origin/origin-kansas

Have you ever had the misfortune of having to live in Kansas? I spent 3 years stationed at Ft Riley. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

1 Like

Another thing to think about is a decapitation strike.

You can launch SLBMs on depressed trajectories. You lose throw weight and a significant amount range but the advantage is that you shave off a significant amount of travel time. Normally SLBM warheads take 20 to 30 minutes time to target on a normal ballistic trajectory. Launching closer to a coastal target on a depressed trajectory allows you hit the target in five to 8 minutes.

That’s why I suggested Adak instead … it’s a nicer place. :wink:

Now wait a minute. If you were stationed at Riley, then you were just minutes away from Chubbys BBQ in JC, and that alone is worth a station on the Fort.

I might be wrong, but isn’t the Kansas City that was mentioned in the OP the bigger one on the Missouri side of the river?

The Kansas City that is actually in Kansas? Yeah, I hope that’s not where the proposal wants to do anything!

Addendum: From the article: " While the USDA is moving quickly to execute the move, it hasn’t yet decided which side of the state line to relocate the Economic Research Service (ERS) and National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), two of the department’s principal research agencies."

Oh man. I can’t believe there is even a question on that!

Bingo.

The last thing I have interest in seeing in DC are the building where actual government is done. Seriously! Give me a whole week just to do the Smithsonian!

If the capitol were moved there, federal workers would live in both states, just as they do now in Md and Va. As an aside, Missouri doesn’t rate much higher.

Precisely…libs don’t think. :wink:

Idaho?

As hard as it is to believe Missouri is actually several times worse as a state than Kansas. And I would know.

Let me stipulate, Kansas without Brownback in the aforementioned statement

Yeah. I had a buddy stationed at Leonard Wood. Went to visit a couple of times.