Time to end government subsidies for public broadcasting?

If you watch Fox News, you are living on a different planet than you are if you, you know, listen to NPR – former President Obama

I follow both and I agree with President Obama on this.

My question is why is NPR subsidized by the government while Fox News is taxed?

Should the government subsidize a particular political point of view?

Why do that when we could just co-opt public broadcasting for Trump? Republicans are in charge of the government, so they should easily be able to fire Big Bird and get some Muppets in there who respect our President.

1 Like

There. That should answer everything for you. I dont think NPR is what you think it is

Thanks for the link. It shows that in addition to being a tax exempt corporation, it receives significant funding from federal and state governments and government-supported universities:

Typically, NPR member stations receive funds through on-air corporate underwriting, state and local governments, educational institutions, and the federally funded Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). In 2009, member stations derived 6% of their revenue from federal, state and local government funding, 10% of their revenue from CPB grants, and 14% of their revenue from universities.

Those are member stations. All non commercial and non profit. Thus no taxes. Plus again those are member stations. NPR is not the “member station”.

From the link:

While NPR does not receive any direct federal funding, it does receive a small number of competitive grants from CPB and federal agencies like the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce. This funding amounts to approximately 2% of NPR’s overall revenues.[23]

You are free to start your own non profit member station and vote

So, to answer your question, its because Fox news is a commercial/for profit company

NPR also does A LOT of non news/politics programming

It’s long past time to end them. If they can’t compete on their own they have no place in the market place period.

The three most popular radio shows in the country are on public radio.

Ahead of Rush and our gracious host.

Please do.

I have been hearing you guys bitch about for most of my life.

Just do it already. It would be worth it to not have to hear this argument ever again.

You guys have until about November to get it done.

1 Like

There is a lot of doubletalk on the funding sources. I see statements from public broadcasting about how virtually all their funding comes from private sources, but at the same time any cuts in federal funding would be devastating. Here is a chart from NPR’s website:

It shows that “federal, state, and local governments” are 5%, while the “federal appropriation via CPB” is 9%. It also says that colleges and universities are 12%, but many colleges are state-funded as well. It looks like government funding could be as much as 20 to 26% of their budget, depending on how much funding comes through state-supported colleges.

1 Like

Ok…and…?

Totally. Let’s end subsidies to farmers too.

3 Likes

I’ve only read the title so far, but I’m going to love this thread. Thank you for introducing it to my world.

1 Like

Make it easy. Stop all federal subsidies to private organizations. Why would you think it’s OK to limit it to only the organizations that don’t appear to fit your agenda?

2 Likes

I agree. That goes for oil and coal subsidies as well

2 Likes

And so it proves npr lied about the amount of tax money coming their way.

They are hard left politically and should be defunded.

Excellent suggestion.

I am on board with the GOP running into the midterms with removing the funding for the CPB… It’s worked so well over the years for the GOP…

As others have said, let’s end all subsidies for businesses so the marketplace can decide… We can start with ethanol subsidies… I hear Ohio and Indiana are having elections in November…

Um, no. Please tell me where they lied about the amount of tax money coming there way.