Thoughts on student debt cancellation

What is there to dispute?

No. It is a moral truth. Objectivity is a myth.

Human nature.

It is if you borrow the money to pay for it.

If a debt is owed that cannot be paid back, who’s problem is it?

The problem with bankruptcy is that the day many students graduate, they have no job yet (thus no income) and no assets. But they have plenty of debt.

Allow this, and student loan providers would stop lending overnight.

(Which might be a good thing, in the long run…)

1 Like

In a free market, that would be true.

Government guarantees changed the logic of student loans. That never should have happened.

We have free government-paid tuition for just about anyone who wants it.

Do a military stint first. Get free college when you get out.

1 Like

The lenders have been aware that laws can change. They plan for everything else.

Let the law change – moving forward. (In fact, I want them to change!) Existing loans should remain under the rules in place when they were written.

Actually, it was a the lenders who lobbied for the laws to change in 1997 that made bankruptcy ineligible for student loans. Right after Sallie Mae was privatized to a for-profit corporation. What a coincidence!

2 Likes

If the loan is able to be removed by bankruptcy, then the degree that loan paid for needs to be revokable.

True that you can’t make the students unlearn something, but removing the accreditation would eliminate a lot of the benefit of having the degree and why should you keep it if you didn’t pay for it.

2 Likes

In a lot of states, if you default on your student loan, your degree is unusable anyway and you can’t get a license to practice your profession.

Poor decisions.

It can be paid.

No, it will always just be owed.

As the old adage goes: If I owe you $1,000, I have a problem; If I owe you $100,000, you have a problem.

Why can’t it be paid.

If they don’t have the income to pay the loans, they’re not going to pay the loans. Do you think they will starve and live in the street so the bank can have their money?

Look, I’m not against loaning people money if you want. I am against a predatory system that relies on the government not allowing bankruptcy for one specific type of loan. Every other loan can be removed in bankruptcy, but not student loans. The lenders don’t have to worry about repayment because the debtor can never get out from under the debt.

Did you know that the price of a cosmetology degree is $30,000? Just 17 years about it was $4,000. This is for a job that pays $12 an hour. There going to be a shortage in the next few years too.

They can pay it back. They took the loan.

How is the weather in Fantasy Land nowadays?

Why is making all debts equal to each other a bad idea? This is a problem Republicans caused in 1997 and 2005 when they outlawed bankruptcy for student loans.