Thoughts About "Kompromat"; or What Do They Have on Him (Them)?

Comparing Cuba to Russia…unbelievable.

1 Like

I appreciate the response. I don’t think the analogy with Obama and Cuba works at all, given the reality of what Russia and Cuba are, respectively, and their relative status, power, size, behavior, role in the world, and orientation toward the US. And there’s a range of responses, postures, etc. between the way Trump is behaving (on one hand) and “spitting the in face of Putin” (on the other).

Look, if you don’t find Trump’s stilted, timid, and oddly submissive words and actions toward Russia weird, unsettling, or whatever, I’m not going to convince you that they are in this thread, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Trump has never put the interests of another person or entity ahead of his own.

Accepting Russia’s influence in his win would be a blow to Trump’s ego, so he downplays it.

Accepting the attempts from him, his family, and his campaign associates to promote Russian hacking might be criminal, so he downplays it.

Can you give some other examples of prominent American political figures openly promoting a foreign power spying on Americans? You’re acting as if this is just par for the course after all.

1 Like

The pee concept might help explain the color of his hair.

There is a difference between Obama/Cuba and Trump/Russia. And it is their relative size and power. Russia will be a world player no matter what we do, and we had better find some way to get along with them. Obama just made a gift to the Castro dictatorship with no interests of the US involved.

I do and did find Trumps words as unsettling. If he has differences with our intelligence community, or even former Obama heads of those agencies, he needs to bring it up here…not in some press conference with the Russians. So I do disagree with his words. Actions and application of foreign policy not so much. There is a difference between Trumps sloppiness with words and the policy he puts in place, both internationally and domestically. I find no great problem with his actions.

Which actual Trump policy position did Putin most enjoy by using the pee tape as blackmail?

1. Nato members should spend more of their wealth on Nato defenses

2. Germany should not become too dependent on Russian oil because it gives Russia too much influence over them

“We have been clear in our assessments of Russian meddling in the 2016 election and their ongoing, pervasive efforts to undermine our democracy, and we will continue to provide unvarnished and objective intelligence in support of our national security,” Coats said.

I guess “ongoing, pervasive efforts to undermine our democracy” are no big deal because Obama went to Cuba once.

Again, that’s all fine: if you reject the premise that anything looks weird, strange, etc., it follows that the whole line of the kompromat discussion makes no sense to you: that is, Trump is not acting–or appearing to act–like someone who is compromised. Fine. I beginning from the premise that it’s become more of an open discussion that he has been speaking and acting in that way, which people in both parties have noticed.

1 Like

Both of those positions support a longtime goal of Russia: undermining the NATO alliance. It’s never been weaker, a huge win for Russia.

I also think there was some involvement between the Trump campaign and Russia. I don’t know at what level, but the indications from the Trump Tower meeting and this latest thing involving Mariia Butina are that there’s something there. I’m sure someone in the meanstream media that our president (and our host) disses so often are looking into it.

“Russian Roulette” by Corn and Ishikoff is a good read for Trump’s Russian history. And there’s a lot of it.

The Republican Party repeatedly weakening it’s stance on Russia’s invasion and occupation of Ukraine.

Trump’s people repeatedly signaling to Russia that sanctions would be eased or lifted entirely once he took office.

Trump repeatedly accepting the word of Russia over his own intelligence agencies when it comes to the hacking.

Trump claiming that the European Union is a foe of the United States while labeling Russia as simply a competitor.

Trump’s promotion of Brexit, which simultaneously weakened both Great Britain and the European Union.

1 Like

Libs actually think there’s a pee tape…JIm Jones was a big time dem.

Excellent, now post all the weird pro Russian stuff he’s done for no reason.

Yep, this Butina angle could be very, very interesting.

Looks like a word in parenthesis wasn’t filtered.

1 Like

There’s so much crazy speculation out there that I’m staying mum on the subject until I see some solid proof of anything.

They’ll manage to blame the human renal system.

The only things that influence Trump are money and ego. Which are inexorably linked for him. It’s money.

Although it was inevitable, I was hoping this wouldn’t turn into a “crazy speculation” thread. I was more interested in nuts-and-bolts/practical side of this, if that makes sense. I say that as someone who’s not convinced that such material exists and is being used.