This will please the Trump bots

The below also appears to be a consideration in the cuts.

As part of its decision, the US will also call for a sharp decrease in the number of Palestinians who are recognised as refugees, reducing the current five million figure to fewer than a tenth of that number, an official familiar with the decision told the Washington Post.https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/us-cut-all-aid-unrwa-reports-37253585

Earlier this week, US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley said: “We will be a donor if it [UNRWA] reforms what it does … if they actually change the number of refugees to accurate account, we will look back at partnering them.” https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/us-cut-all-aid-unrwa-reports-37253585

Why don’t YOU provide the details? Why make others do your work for you?

I want to know if you really know what the aid provides and why you think this is a good policy position for the US…

Quick google search will show you what the money goes towards to.

In 2014 the UN relief organization provided 139 primary health centers, over 3,000 healthcare staff which resulted in over 3 million Palestinian refugees accessing health care.

They also provide microfinance to give refugees the opportunity to positively impact their economy. In 2014 $360 million in loans at commercial rates were provided to Palestinian Refugees.

The list goes on to the good that the money we contribute does. Granted this was just me doing a quick google search and I am not an expert. I am sure there is some wastage but there always is. No organization is 100% efficient and corruption free. There will always be individuals that game any system but overall that should not be used to discredit the overall good and positive outcomes that our money helps to facilitate.

I think you have no idea. And you’d just like to deflect, like with your golf comment. I’d much rather engage with people here who want an honest discussion.

1 Like

Come on, just admit you have no idea and are just supporting this policy because of blind allegiance… LOL

Do you know why this is such an issue for the administration?

I assume it’s used for humanitarian purposes like food, medical care, helping keep people alive, etc., not to establish peace. But any worsening of the already dismal humanitarian situation, particularly in Gaza, makes unrest and another war with Hamas more likely. That money and other humanitarian money helps keep conditions just tolerable enough.

1 Like

Correct as well as education. However, per the article I linked it appears the system has become bloated with more claiming refugee status for aid than actually exists.

For nearly 70 years, the agency offered registered Palestinian refugees in the occupied territories, Lebanon, Jordan and Syria access to education, health care and social services in addition to providing support to purchase food.

US President Donald Trump has argued that the US, which has been the largest donor to the agency for decades, is paying too much without getting “appreciation or respect”.

“With Palestinians no longer willing to talk peace, why should we make any of these massive future payments to them?” he tweeted in January.
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/us-cut-all-aid-unrwa-reports-37253585

@Smyrna posed a great question. What is the ROI for our contributions?

You mean the US doesn’t want to continue using the definition of Palestinian refugee as agreed to in the original UN resolution establishing UNRWA because refugees have a right to return to their homeland. Adding 5 million Palestinian voters in Israel would create a political earthquake in Israel and drastically change the country… There, fixed it for you…

Thank you for the effort in your answer. If this is how the money is being spent, it’s obviously helping many people. Speaking of just those people that the US is helping, in your opinion, has their opinion of the US become more positive as a result? We’ve been providing this assistance for many years so has the Palestinian opinion of the US grown more positive? Is our financial assistance made known to everyday Palestinians? Are we just sustaining the status quo or is the US making political gains along with these humanitarian ones. I understand what’s in it for Palestine but how is it helping the US?

So how much of the $3.3 billion/year aid to Israel does this mean we can cut?

1 Like

That’s a pretty silly metric to use to judge an assistance program. What do you think will happen when food, education and medical care are removed?

It’s been keeping the area relatively stable and avoiding all out war… If other countries don’t step in continue funding the organization, I guess we will see the cost benefit in the next few years…

If it stood alone, maybe but not recognizing the importance of what I asked…is what’s truly silly.

1 Like

It helps promote peace in the region. Maybe you consider that a benefit to the US?

Does every dollar we spend overseas need to benefit the US, or can the country spend money for altruistic reasons?

Is there peace in the region?

Every dollar we spend overseas should benefit the US and we should see a return on that investment.

1 Like

Relative to all-out war, yes. If the Palestinian government collapses you’ll see the difference.

I disagree. Humanitarian aid is not an investment.

What leads you to believe there will be an all-out war if we withdraw financial support to the Palestinian government?

I do see aid as an investment. Investment in health, education, food, etc. I’d like to see that investment pay for itself.

After 40 years maybe it’s time to force a change for better or worse, rather than just holding the line.

I said if the Palestinian government collapses, you’ll see the difference between the relative peace of today and the all-out war/major humanitarian crisis that would ensue. US aid helps prop up the Palestinian government, which is in Israel’s best interests and our best interests.

I’m not sure what you mean by “pay for itself.” If providing food and medicine to people in need isn’t enough for you, then our aid pays off by providing stability to the region, which is something that benefits everyone.