This Republican Senate candidate appears to have no idea what the Voting Rights Act is

At a forum at a Rotary Club in Alabama, Tommy Tuberville was asked about the Voting Rights Act.

The following was the word salad delivered by Tuberville in response:

“You know, the thing about the Voting Rights Act it’s, you know ― there’s a lot of different things you can look at it as, you know, who’s it going to help? What direction do we need to go with it? I think it’s important that everything we do we keep secure. We keep an eye on it. It’s run by our government. And it’s run to the, to the point that we, it’s got structure to it. It’s like education. I mean, it’s got to have structure. Now for some reason, we look at things to change, to think we’re gonna make it better, but we better do a lot of work on it before we make a change.”

Normally when somebody is this ■■■■■■■ stupid, I would use an “rofl” emoji or something similar.

But this is simply beyond ■■■■■■■ stupid. It is ■■■■■■■ sad. It is ■■■■■■■ pathetic.

Especially since Tuberville lives in the ■■■■■■■ state whose knuckle dragging brutes were the direct cause of the Voting Rights Act being passed in the first place.

Tuberville is heavily favored to win. But I dearly hope he is kept FAR away from the Senate Judiciary Committee.

I knew Tuberville wasn’t the brightest bulb in the box from the very start. He is going out of his way to prove it. I wouldn’t mind seeing Jones pull a second upset, but that is likely not happening this time.

4 Likes

I am sure he will represent Alabama well.

1 Like

Cool story bro.

1 Like

I mean he’s no alvin greene…

My niece and her husband live in Calera, Alabama after moving up there from Orlando, Florida a few years ago. Both pretty solid Republicans. Both will be voting MOSTLY Republican, except in the Presidential race and Senate race.

Republican in Florida and Republican in Alabama are substantially different. :smile:

What’s the story?

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: General Off-Topic Slop from Various Threads +fd

A dude using a 5 year old colloquialism to stay hip

I am really saddened by the fact that many of our own senators/ house representatives are ignorant of our form of government.
How are so many well educated people so ignorant of BASIC government and they chose to make this their life’s work? SMH

Perhaps Tuberville could like others elected to public office, learn the ropes of their new phony baloney job. Maybe coach could catch a few pointers from ‘Ol Joe Biden, he put in 47 years between the Senate and Veep. Surely Biden could help Tommy with some details about the Voting Rights Act?

1 Like

That’s hardly evidence of incompetence. It’s the most boilerplate commentary on a law that “if it’s broken, then it should be fixed”, without saying whether it’s broken or not.

On second thought, it is definitely word salad.

Yes. He could.

Maybe his opponent can win by voting for the new SC nominee.

Bye, bye doug.

“Guam might tip over”
“Like, with a cloth?”
“I was set up by my hairdresser…”

The above is a slang term used to dismiss a comment perceived as boring or pointless, or an anecdote that is hard to believe.

I provide that definition simply to point out the sadness of that reply.

The Voting Rights Act is perhaps the best and most important piece of legislation passed by the United States Congress in the history of the Republic. Greater even than the Civil Rights Act passed just the year before. While the Civil Rights Act granted great civil rights protections, it is the Voting Rights Act that granted political power to people who had been powerless throughout the history of the Republic.

The Voting Rights Act didn’t just empower blacks. It also empowered lower class whites in the South, many whom were disenfranchised along with blacks.

Many people lost their lives to get the Voting Rights Act passed and many more were grievously injured.

And when it finally happened, Republicans and Northern Democrats came TOGETHER to pass this act over the resistance of Southern Democrats. The Voting Rights Act could not have been passed without the good faith cooperation of the Republican Party.

Today, the Voting Rights Act remains the best protection of democracy in this country and the best tool available to the Federal Judiciary to suppress voting rights violations.

Every high graduate in this country should have a basic working knowledge of the Voting Rights Act. Anybody stepping foot in the political arena should be utmost acquainted with the greatest piece of legislation on the book and the greatest protection of our democracy.

I suggest Mr. Tuberville sit down right now and read the Voting Rights Acts and its amendments from start to finish. And then abide by both the letter and spirit of what it stands for.

I suggest everybody else treat the Voting Rights Act with the level of respect it deserves.

1 Like

Hmmm. That could be quite a predicament for him if the vote is before the election.

He should be telling people how to throw and catch a football, not be put in a position to affect the lives of real people. Kinda how like LeBron should just shut up and dribble.

Well!?! He’s going to bring Alabama into the 20th century. Believe it.

Agreed @Safiel . Excellent post.

Trump wrote his response? :smile:

1 Like