This one kind of slipped by, but the keel was laid on the USS Enterprise (CVN-80) on April 5th

Rather belated OP, but oh well. :smile:

The keel was laid on the USS Enterprise (CVN-80) on April 5th, signifying the beginning of assembly of that ship in dry dock. Fabrication of the ship’s components began on August 21, 2017, with the first cut of steel ceremony.

Launching is schedule for November 2025 with delivery and commissioning scheduled for 2028.

On another note, the USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) FINALLY is ready for deployment. It’s flight deck has been certified and it is expected to go out on its first actual deployment in the fall.

USS John F. Kennedy (CVN-79) launched in 2019 and is expected to be delivered and commissioned in 2024.

1 Like

1 Like

I should add that the first cut of steel was held for the USS Doris Miller (CVN-81) on August 25, 2021, but it is not expected to be delivered to the Navy until 2032.

They fixed the elevator issues?

Yes. They would not have been able to get flight deck certification unless the elevators were fully functional.

That’s one of the systems I found interesting working on (at least on 73 & 74). Pretty interested in what they did on 78.

Will be glad to see that proud name returned to the Fleet.

I remember exercises with her predecessor in '83 when she came out of overhaul and was heading to WESTPAC, she was the bait and the Midway sprung the trap and supprised the ■■■■ out of the Russians when we showed up in the Northern Pacific when they thought we were down near Okinawa.

When our fighters flew up to the Bears that went out to recon the Enterprise and they had “U.S.S. Midway” on the sides, they were PISSED.

WW
USN, Ret.

1 Like

Scaring commies to the point where they crap their flight suits.

America!!!

Were they F-4’s?

I know this is all Navy’n stuff. But I wanted to share this but there’s not a recent Funny Political Pictures thread hanging around.

Boy the shorts of our resident Devil Dogs are chafing right about now! :crazy_face:

Ya, that was their first clue.

F-4’a on their wings when they knew the Enterprise was carrying F-14’s. It was like where the hell did these come from.

They lost an entire carrier battle group.

:rofl:

WW

1 Like

Some Soviet officer got the biggest ass chewing in human history over that one. Lol

Comrade! How the ■■■■ did you loose track of a 50,000 ton aircraft carrier and her entire battle group!?

Go to the Gulag!!!