This is Pro Choice? Really?

This was not Downs.

Does the woman get to choose after the doctor gives a recommendation? Yes or no will suffice.

Cue the pro-baby-killers. lol

2 Likes

The doctor told her the results before telling her there was an error…

Which is totally unprofessional on the doctor’s part. Were this more recent, that professional may be in trouble under HIPAA—if for no other reason accidental disclosure.

You are all over the place. Have a good day.

The issue is that doctors use the patients’ lack of knowledge and experience to exploit them and manipulate them into getting an abortion. It’s always best to get a second opinion before making a decision. (It may not be conscious manipulation, but it’s still manipulation.)

There are more and more doctors starting to be exposed for this kind of thing, as well as outright abuse- especially sexual abuse.

1 Like

The doctor can discharge the patient if they do not comply. Same if they want a procedure done, or a specific medication, and the doctor refuses to do/prescribe it. They will probably be referred out.

Um…because the mother has the right to choose to heed the doctor’s advice or not.

This story would have more legs had the doctor brought in some orderlies, had her strapped down, and said “We’re aborting this fetus now”.

And the story tells us nothing of the doctor’s views…only how she chose to communicate the results of the tests.

Combine them all together, which is what I had done, and yes.

Forget about being blind or deaf.

Would you really want to continue to live if you were a quadriplegic? Confined to your bed or wheelchair 24 hours a day. Have to be fed, Have to be cleaned up. Can’t talk. Can’t communicate.

Your parents may project on you that you’re happy because of the facial rictus that they identify as a smile…but to me that would be a living hell.

So nobody is forcing a woman. They retain choice. Just like a pro-life ob-gyn would refer a woman who wanted an abortion elsewhere.

There are certainly some cold blooded folks in this world.

3 Likes

So 23 years ago some charts got switched and because of that 1 mistake abortion nEeds to be banned.

I would also note that physicians have lied in the opposite direction to deliberate deprive women of a choice. Physicians have covered up diagnoses of Down’s Syndrome and other disorders so that the women would not get an abortion.

It works both ways.

Abortion for some deformity or shortcoming is rather harsh.

At its worst, we allow gender selection abortions (which primarily target female babies.)

The lib universe will fracture when science finds some sort of amniotic marker that indicates homosexuality.

2 Likes

The patient chooses what?

Doesn’t choice involve more than one possibility?

The physician hasn’t even sat down to double check if she has the right patient’s results, much less taken the time to tell her something like

You might use these tests to counsel with a geneticists who knows more to discuss options with you.

Or research the problem and look for any therapy for your child.

Or prepare for the arrival of a medically needy child. It’s up to you.

No, my problem is the physician has made it about what she would choose and not even offered any alternatives, sort of a Henry Ford choice “The customers can have any color car they want as long as it’s black.”

I understand abortion in those cases where potential death of the mother or a fatal defect of a child is involved. But shouldn’t calling oneself pro choice even in those scenarios involve more than one choice when possible, for example, using what time is left with a child with fatal alleles?

It just seems to me if pro choice is going to be the expression used, more than one choice should be offered. And, as in the linked article, it just doesn’t seem that’s the scenario.

1 Like

That some imagination you have there. What makes you think the doctor doesn’t go over options?

1. Can the patient choose to walk out or are they forced to have an abortion? YES or NO

2. Should all doctors and medical provided advise of options? It sounds like you think we should repeal the gag order.

Nope you guys are the ones who’s heads will blow.

Reread the article. That physician not only recommended termination, but scheduling it for the following day. Where’s the choice?

And it appears prospective parents aren’t even being informed of false positives in many of these tests. Where is the informed consent in these scenarios?

1 Like

So your telling us that they will perform the abortion even if the woman doesn’t want it?