This is perfect example of why many knelt during the National Anthem

There is a vast middle ground between holding a pregant lady carrying her child at gunpoint and threatening to shoot someone and walking away.

It isn’t a binary choice so please don’t pretend that it is.

What is that middle ground? Name some of those options.

De-escalation is actually a thing.

3 Likes

I saw that…out of control…thank goodness he didn’t shoot. But honestly surprised they didn’t arrest or beat up the guy filming.

What if the other party doesn’t want to de escalate? How do you get them to do that?
Smile?
Being verbally abusive and refusing commands, if that happened, is not the way to respond to police.

The cop got fired for that one.

1 Like

I cannot believe that officer will continue to be paid for the next year

You can.

I can’t read it. It wants me to sign up.

He was allowed to voluntarily resign and is still on the payroll until Feb 2020

In the video that we have both presumably watched, where could the officers have de-escalted the situation?

Maybe between the time of threatening to shoot a suspect?

Maybe when trying to cuff a woman while holding her baby while her neighbors are yelling at the police to let them take the children so they would be safe?

There seems to be plenty of missed oppurtunities for police to not go completely ■■■■■■■ crazy over a shoplifting incident.

Wouldn’t you at least agree to that?

Yeah, what if the little girl wanted another doll and wouldn’t take no for an answer?

Here’s the video on youtube

Summary: police harass a student picking up trash in from of his building

From the police report.

I CONTACTED STORE EMPLOYEE BRANDON RICHKAS, WHO ASSISTED ME IN REVIEWING VIDEO SURVEILLANCE OFTHE THEFT. VIDEO SHOWED AN APPROXIMATE 4 YEAR OLD GIRL EXITING THE STORE HOLDING A BABY DOLL,WITHOUT ANYONE SHE WAS WITH ATTEMPTING TO PAY. ALSO, THE VIDEO SHOWED RENITA BRISCOE HOLDINGSOME ITEMS IN HER HAND BY THE FRONT DOOR BUT SEEMINGLY PUT THEM DOWN UPON SEEING POLICE. AFTERREVIEWING THE FOOTAGE BRANDON SAID HE COULD NOT VERIFY ANYTHING WAS TAKEN IN ADDITION TO THEDOLL AND ADVISIED HE DID NOT DESIRE PROSECUTION.

concluding in

AT THIS TIME, THE STOLEN BABY DOLL HAS BEEN RECOVERED AND RETURNED TO THE STORE. THE STORE DOESNOT DESIRE PROSECUTION.

Oh dear lord.

That was certainly not everything that was in the police report.
And that was not what lead to the incident.
That is just a small, innocuous part.

Police lie.

I have not said that the police report is correct.
Thieves lie too.
We, in fact, do not know the full story.
I assume a court will sort it out.

You don’t think the force was excessive for a situation of petty theft that the victim doesn’t want to pursue?

Yeah… here is the real crime.

SHE STATED THAT THEY WENT TO THE FOOD CITY AND WHILE THEY WERE THERE, HER AUNT DECIDED TOGO INTO THE DOLLAR STORE WITH IESHA’S DAUGHTER. IESHA STATED THAT SHE KNEW THEY DID NOT HAVE ANYMONEY AND WHEN THE CHILD WALKED OUT OF THE THE STORE WITH THE DOLL, SHE KNEW THEY HAD TO HAVESTOLEN IT. WHEN THEY GOT IN THE CAR AND STARTED TO DRIVE AWAY, SHE HEARD THE POLICE OFFICER TELLDRAVON TO STOP, BUT HE DID NOT. IESHA STATED THAT SHE TOLD HIM SEVERAL TIMES TO STOP BUT HE DID NOT AND HE WAS SCARED. SHE STATED THAT SHE WANTED TO GET OUT OF THE VEHICLE BUT SHE DIDN’T BECAUSE OFTHE CHILDREN. SHE STATED THAT WHEN I CONTACTED THEM, SHE WAS SCARED AND DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO
SHE STATED THAT SHE IS VERY SORRY FOR HER BEHAVIOR AND IT WAS NOT APPROPRIATE.

An d a further statement

I READ DRAVON HIS MIRANDA WARNING RIGHTS. HE REPLIED “YES SIR” TO UNDERSTANDING HISRIGHTS. HE STATED TO ME THAT HE WAS SCARED WHEN HE SAW THE POLICE OFFICER AND HE JUST WANTED TOLEAVE. HE STATED THAT HE KNEW THAT THEY HAD SHOPLIFTED FROM THE STORE AND THAT HE THREW THE PAIROF UNDERWEAR OUT THE WINDOW BECAUSE HE KNEW IT WAS STOLEN. HE STATED THAT HE WAS SORRY ANDTHAT HE WAS VERY SCARED. I ASKED HIM WHY HE DID NOT STOP WHEN OFFICER WELCH TOLD HIM TO, HE SAID “IDIDN’T HEAR HIM”. I TOLD HIM THAT IESHA HEARD HIM AND TOLD HIM TO STOP TO. HE REPLIED "YES, I WAS JUSTSCARED"DRAVON ADMITTED TO HAVING A SUSPENDED LICENSE BECAUSE HE WAS ARRESTED FOR DUI AND HE WANTED TOGIVE URINE, NOT GET BLOOD DRAWN, SO THE ARRESTING OFFICER GOT A SEARCH WARRANT AND DREW HISBLOOD.DRAVON WAS ISSUED A CITATION FOR DRIVING ON A SUSPENDED LICENSE AND RELEASED AT THE SCENE.THE VEHICLE WAS IMPOUNDED

So a suspended license, a stolen 99 cent doll and a pair of stolen underwear.

Definitely worth getting your life threatened over that.