This day in Politics

So a left wing group has been raising money and telling Susan Collins they will fund her opponent in 2020 if she doesn’t vote to block Kavanaugh. Among other things this group claims Kavanaugh will “instantly” take away the rights of LGBTQ and of course overturn Roe vs Wade.

This is Susan Collins’ response to the bribery, and I think it’s brilliant. Besides that, even if she does vote no (which seems to be highly unlikely to say the least) this group will be raising money to defeat her in two years anyway.

“I consider this quid pro quo fundraising to be the equivalent of an attempt to bribe me to vote against Judge Kavanaugh.

“If I vote against him, the money is refunded to the donors. If I vote for him, the money is given to my opponent for the 2020 race,” she said.

She emphasized “this effort will not influence my vote at all,” adding, “I think it demonstrates the new lows to which the judge’s opponents have stooped.”

That’s correct, and the left should have known their hysteria and ridiculous claims about Kavanaugh weren’t going to change Collins or Murkowski’s minds about him.

Hot Air sounds like hot air.

Not as much as this. Opposition to Kavanaugh is truly unhinged.

I dunno, Republicans threaten to do this to Republicans off they don’t vote the proper way constantly.

Yeah it was really apparent during the campaign he had no idea how sovereign debt works when he suggested that the US could tell our creditors to take a haircut.

Of course, that’s how the game is played. But did you miss me saying hysteria and ridiculous claims? No, Kavanaugh is not going to “instantly” take their rights away. That’s stupid.

Truer words have not been spoken my friend.

It is an utter disgrace where we are as a nation when it comes to the selection of Justices to the USSC. And this is not a Trump thing or an Obama thing. It precedes them both. But has only gotten worse under each of them and from the partisans on both sides of the aisle. Really Bork was where it all began to slide off of the rails. I doubt we will ever recover either, which is what truly saddens me.

And the ignorant masses cheer him on with wild-eyed, reckless abandon. Heaven help us all.

I agree, the politicalization of SCOTUS is really, really bad. And I’m sure the right will be just as crazy when a D President gets to appoint someone.

Nothing wrong with opposing someone on ideological grounds, it’s the smears and lies that have bothered me.

And postponing a vote for a year.

Merrick Garland raises an eyebrow towards your use of the future tense.

It’s true, Kavanaugh has a record of using smears and lies.

I worked in the GM towers in Detroit at the time… the tallest in the city. I say that not because I’m bragging up GM… but because you suddenly realize that you are a target. When you are up 20 some floors and look down and see fire trucks, your pulse quicken.

Maybe Trump was referring to that aspect of his tall buildings. If your brain was not ravaged with TDS, you might have thought of that.

Honestly, I don’t even think the opposition on ideological grounds makes sense overall, when it comes to voting for them. I get why someone would not actively and vocally support someone if there were ideological differences. But the whole point is whether or not they are qualified. And virtually all nominees for this office will be qualified, but should be scrutinized on this and this alone. I know it is idealistic of me, but that is what the process should be about. Not the circus it is now.

Well I agree it should only be about qualifications, but that ship sailed a long time ago. Now it’s all about if the person is a liberal or conservative, qualifications seem to be secondary.

And it’s been funny watching the Dems grand standing and theatrics, when they had no intention of voting for him anyway.

Absolutely. It is all politics all the time for all of these folks in DC. A true disgrace and a joke of a government. Being led currently by the biggest clown imaginable.

You keep repeating this. It doesn’t make any sense. Many people think Kavanaugh has no business on the court.

Bipartisanship is something politicians once strove for. Now its grounds to get voted out of office. The voters are equally to blame for this mess.

It makes perfect sense if one is only considering his qualifications. On that, even looney Dems aren’t claiming he’s not qualified.

So the only reason he has “no business on the court” is because of ideology.

I could also say Ginsburg, Sotomayer, Kagan and Breyer “have no business on the court” as well.

Yes, that’s true. That really went out the window in the 1990s. Prior to that both sides would work together when necessary. I don’t remember constant gridlock like we have now. President Reagan and Tip ONeill were good friends. That would never happen today.