The world sucks (National news media’s message to you)

You may have misunderstood. It’s nearly impossible to not get along with me. :wink:

2 Likes

Well, CNN was early 80s, right? But I remember it being kind of milk toast back then. Totally boring and kind of a head scratcher.

Fox was what? Mid 90s? They were just so good - still are really - totally defining the medium. 24 hour news doesn’t work without a point of view. And they taught CNN how to do it…then MSNBC was even after that, right?

I don’t know…maybe I’m kidding myself, but I don’t think my parents generation cared all that much about who was what politically. It seemed much more ‘religion and politics, you don’t ask’ kind of vibe.

They are sorting culturally, just as they’ve always done. The difference now is imposition is much easier and quicker.

Therefore so is the resentment.

I think it’s more that resentment has been validated, and excused, encouraged even, by 24/7 for profit news.

Always has been. Ever since Cronkite. Even before that. Epitaph and Nugget.

1 Like

Well - no insult here - maybe you are older than me. But I just don’t remember so much political division back then.

I can only guess at my neighbors political views. Its sort of “don’t ask don’t tell”.

My brother is a dedicated Democrat and was once a Jesse Jackson delegate to the state Democratic convention. I get along quite will with him. We don’t spend much time on politics.

The last time my friends and I got stoned and political, 5 of us ended up in the Army. That was a long time ago now. Getting older is very strange. :rofl:

3 Likes

Sure, sure. I do believe that you are a nice, easy going guy. But let us examine this.

Suppose you turn off the news, and head to the neighbor’s house openly carrying your side arm (as is your right). How do you think that conversation goes?

But never mind that example, let’s go more mundane. Suppose you are talking to your SF neighbor over the fence, and school (where you both have children) comes up. The neighbor thinks vax, masking, and an unflinching look at the history of white history are all important parts of the curriculum.

What then? Your neighbor, and most of your other neighbors agree, and are in opposition to what you believe, and more importantly, what they want to teach your children.

Howzit looking now, champ? Do you still think you can turn off your news, talk to your neighbor, and unicorns and rainbows will ensue?

Schneider’s comment is nothing more than feel good nonsense; vacuous fluff that can’t withstand scrutiny.

These are all foreign concepts to me though. When we get together, things come into being. I don’t typically do tea time chat.

Yuppers.

Ah. So you post the vacuous Schneider meme, but somehow it has nothing to do with you.

Why bother?

I can give you the exact date when political discourse in this country began the descent into the sorry state it is in today.

I’ll even buy you a coke if you can identify the precipitating event🙃

08/01/1988

Rush Limbaugh start date?

Yup.

And please note: this is not a slam on conservatives. It is the movement of the Overton Window, and for the first time it became acceptable to mock, demean, and demonize political opponents on the national stage.

Discourse and debate went to the wayside, and here we are.

Where shall I send the coke?:upside_down_face:

1 Like

BS dude…you’d be hanging out in one of the local smoke shops goatee flannel and all. :wink:

Finally…FINALLY…the world may be waking up to their sheoplization?

Ahh, the date of my 8th birthday… this was indeed a turning point for political discourse; it was at my sleepover party where Sam Thomas called Jimmy Peterson a communist until he peed his pants after a Monopoly dispute.

Downhill ever since…

Though if you listen to the podcast (or read the transcript) there is passing reference to media of pre-1900, which was probably much worse than today.

1 Like

Not sure about that.

From the article on virility.

Understanding the factors that make social media posts go “viral” online can help to create better social media environments. While social media platforms are not fully transparent about how their algorithmic ranking system works, Facebook announced in a post titled “Bringing People Closer Together” that it was changing its algorithm ranking system to value “deeper” forms of engagement, such as reactions and comments (68). Ironically, posts about the political out-group were particularly effective at generating comments and reactions (particularly the “angry” re- action, the most popular reaction across our studies). In other words, these algorithmic changes made under the guise of bringing people closer together may have helped prioritize posts including out-group animosity. In addition to informing algorithmic changes (69), this research might inform other design changes (70), or policy changes that can be implemented to improve social media conversations, as well as future research on the role of social identity in online engagement. Amid widespread discussion that social media may be contributing to discord and polarization, our work reveals how out-group animosity predicts virality in two of the largest social networks.

The podcast discusses a virtuous cycle where our innate (and evolutionarily useful) negativity bias drives our desire for negative news and desire to share it, which in turn makes us more negative. We are all susceptible to this, and the US media’s structure and competitive nature make it more pervasive here.

That’s a well known old adage where bad news travels 16 times faster than good news. My point is that it’s now a coordinated effort between the mainstream media and social media working together to perpetuate their narrative, there by persuading large masses of people.