The Wet Season is underway on the Florida peninsula, lets see what the effect is in regards to COVID-19 going forward

It appears that the Florida peninsula has entered the Wet Season fortuitously early this year.

The Wet Season on the Florida peninsula is marked by:

1. The absence of any synoptic fronts passing through or onto the peninsula.

2. Heavy and oppressive humidity 24/7.

3. Highs in the high 80’s to mid 90’s. Lows in the lower to mid 70’s, not lower than 72 degrees.

4. The presence of a low pressure trough that builds during the daytime heating. This results in colliding sea breezes, one from the Gulf and one from the Atlantic that collide over the peninsula in late afternoon leading to popup thunderstorms.

The Wet Season typically persists at least until mid-October but often into November. A developing La Nina likely means that the Wet Season will persist well into November.

The peninsula includes the vast majority of the population and the vast majority of the tourist attractions in Florida.

So we now have a “living laboratory” to see the effect these conditions will have on the spread of COVID-19.

2 Likes

Sounds like Wisconsin in winter. Everyone crammed in buildings for the climate control, no playing outside in the sunshine and fresh air with easier social distancing opportunities.

Your wet season sounds like what we call Monsoon season here in the West.

Not MY wet season. :smile: I avoid Florida like the plague between April and December. :smile:

I don’t think the west can match Florida for humidity however.

Actually, Floridians tend to just go outside and bear the misery. And it doesn’t stop the golfers or other sports. And the tourists generally have to be outside at most attractions.

People in Florida actually do NOT congregate inside, as has been my experience when I have been forced to make summer visits. And my brother and sister both live there and I know they both go out in the heat.

It can’t but when we have a “good monsoon” season. For weeks you can almost set your clock to how the weather will behave. Wake up to sunshine. Then the wind kicks up. Clouds start to build. Lightning starts up first. Then flooding rain for a couple hours. Rain stop. lighting stops. Sun goes down. Clouds go away to clear skys to start all over again when the sun comes up.

Interesting. I have heard many stories of southern states lifestyle of living in the AC. House to car to destination all in the AC.

the entire world is a “living laboratory” for germs

every time the wind blows now (or doesnt) new attention will be drawn to new flu normal which is live in fear and lose livelihood.

let’s move on with life

1 Like

I spent 3-4 months at Ft Huachuca Arizona back in the early 80’s while in the Army for my AIT…From roughly July - Sept/Oct I seem to remember the weather being consistent. It would rain at around 2pm every day, like clockwork, and I think 2am if memory serves. ( or it could have been 11 both times, either way, it was very predictable)

Used to be like that in Florida once upon a time. My family would drive from NJ to Miami every year for vacation (Before I-95 was built - all the way on US1) - You could set your watch to the 2 pm thunderstorm.

On a related topic. I read a report on the re-opening of Broward county beaches. You can: Surf, swim, fish, walk, wade, etc. But if you sit down in the sand you are in violation. Good Lord. :roll_eyes:

Florida’s official flu season just ended; it ran from September 29, 2019 to May 16, 2020. The wet season normally has fewer cases of respiratory infections, and I would expect the same trend to exist for the COVID-19 virus.

Broward is full of displaced Yankees from the NE.

It’s a common misconception.

Yes we do run our air conditioning at all times when possible. My car’s automatic temp control stays set on 66-70 all summer long.

But we don’t stay inside. When you grow up in oppressive humidity at 90 degrees (Mississippi and Louisiana are only slight less awful than Florida in the regard) you get used to it.

We all bitch and complain about it, but we still go about our lives.

Now let it snow 1 inch down here and every southerner falls completely apart. Society literally stops. Nothing happens, no work is done, schools emptied.

2 Likes

I remember Jacksonville getting about a 1/2 of snow accumulated on the ground a couple of years ago or so. I think the people were waiting for Christ to descend. :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh yes definitely.

The few times it’s really snowed in my life… I decided to be a stupid redneck and go cut donuts with the ATV. Slung myself off once. That did not feel good.

Just start a rumor that a flake might fall and bye bye bread in the grocery stores. :rofl:

Don’t worry. The virus will do just fine with air conditioning.

Highs in the high 80’s to mid 90’s. Lows in the lower to mid 70’s, not lower than 72 degrees? That’s got to be a best kept secret for Wisconsin. :wink:

First tropical storm of the season is just off the east coast right now?