The Trouble with Boys and Men

Couple with this the fact that the more responsible and more accomplished members of our society who do have children are doing so at much later ages, which evidence shows increases health risks.

There’s no coincidence this all exploded around the 1960’s:

6 Likes

Your Honor, I rest my case.

1 Like

I think it’s great that males have said “no thank you” to the never-ending propaganda that they just have to go to college to succeed in life. Let the females get the 6-figure student loan debt and stress about loan forgiveness while working for $12 an hour at Hobby Lobby with their art degrees. When it becomes a better ROI maybe more males will come back. They are better off with trades or CDLs.

1 Like

Median income in 1979 was 16k, or $308 a week.

1 Like

A college degree in a practical field still pays for itself many times over and is still the best financial investment a parent can make.

That said. One-third of HS graduates do not attend college and one-third who do do not graduate with any degree but DO incur a pile of debt. There is no benefit to pushing a child into college unless he will graduate with a practical degree.

1 Like

Don’t forget soy milk. Lots of soy milk and what that does to estrogen levels :joy:

Insane silly ness

2 Likes

I don’t disagree with the substance of your post but doesn’t it often take college to figure out what practical college degree the child can graduate with. Some obviously know going in, others figure it out in college.

I am not sure I understand your question.

I can tell you that all math/science intensive degrees are practical and all of them lead to very high-paying jobs.

There are also practical degrees that are not math/science intensive including but not limited to

• some computer/tech related fields (math ability is a good predictor of success but little/no advanced math is required.)
  • business, management etc.
  • anything degree in any major if the student also got a background in a critical language.

Do some kids figure out the degree they want while in college?

Yes. and some make bad decisions about that.

It’s absolutely crazy just how much money is wasted on higher education in this country. 40% of students who start college end up dropping out:

And according to this only about 30% of those who do graduate get jobs related to their major:

One can easily make the case that maybe about only 10% of all the coursework in college translates into any sort or practical value to the students!

3 Likes

People who major in poetry or philosophy don’t work in their field.

Now consider:
Only the top 25% of US households earn over $100,000/year.
Only the top 8% earn over $150,000/year.

Here is what the top-paying graduates make 5 years outta college
(Picture these households with an income-earning spouse)

• Computer Engineering. $74K.
  • Chemical Engineering. $70K.
  • Aerospace Engineering. $70K.
  • Electrical Engineering. $70K.
  • Computer Science. $70K.
  • Industrial Engineering. $69K.
  • Mechanical Engineering. $68K.
  • Miscellaneous Engineering. $65K.

The crazy thing is that in states like NJ, to live a comfortable middleclass family life (without government assistance) one’s income really needs to be in the around these levels!

The other crazy thing is that SOME urban areas are so expensive, teachers and cops make are in top 25% households (especially if married to an income earner.)

May 31, 2022 — The average salary for a High School Teacher is $111042 per year in Long Island, NY. (starting salary $46,500)
https://www.indeed.com/career/high-school-teacher/salaries/Long-Island--NY

Basically “the rich” consists of three groups

• Anyone with an math/science degree
  • Government employees in expensive urban areas
  • People we normally think of as “the rich.”

I agree about practical degrees. I’m just glad males are opting out of wasting $$$ on liberal arts and social science degrees.

1 Like

Of course so how can we not encourage them without knowing whether they will make the right decision? My point is it’s upto the parents to prepare them for either going to college or not.

1 Like

Of course so how can we not encourage them without knowing whether they will make the right decision? My point is it’s upto the parents to prepare them for either going to college or not.
[/quote]

Yes, but part of the problem there is that 40% of American children (as has been noted in this thread) are born to single moms, most of whom do a lousy job raising children. So there’s plenty of children in the US who get very little to no direction from their parents. The other problem is how we approach high school, which is largely designed to push students into college. So one fix would be to make at least 50% of the purpose and direction of high school to educate and prepare students for employment.

While a nuclear family is important. How are you quantifying that little feeling of yours?

Lt. Germaine Dearlove, believes the ages of those involved in the dispute ranged from 15 to 21.

Now what percent would you guess came from a home without a father present in their lives?

2 Likes