The Theory of Church

You could be right

Why?

What awful sins did you commit and did you go to jail for them?

Once you were saved did you go to the police and confess to your sins? What did you do? Rape or murder someone? Steal?

he had yet to tell a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father and can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically that he accepted him as his master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

“Go to church” is a common measure for religiosity. It’s easy. It’s measurable.

I don’t consider it a solid measure though.

Some people go to church because they have to. They see it as the measure to follow, or as a requirement of their chosen faith expression, or because they don’t want to disappoint someone (including God.)

Some people go to church because the get to go. They want to go. They see it as a source of their relationship with God. As the pinnacle of their religious expression.

Obligation versus opportunity. It’s the distinction Jesus tried to show the Pharisees between the letter of the Law and the spirit of the Law. It should be a heart-thing, not a law-thing.

1 Like

Maybe “success” and “product” needs to be defined.

In my religious understanding, my goal should be to become a Saint. To get to Heaven. Earthly “success” by human measure is meaningless in this context. Money? Power? Prestige? Comfort? None of that matters.

On the other hand, did I stay on course in my pursuit of my relationship with God? And did I right my way when I strayed? Did I help others to seek a relationship with God? (And did I avoid leading others away from that path?) Did I love the wife God created for me the way He wanted me to love her? Ditto the children God gifted to me? What were the fruits of my life in areas such as these?

These are the sorts of things that I should use to measure my success, because I think they are the sorts of things God will use to judge me.

1 Like

This sounds more like church from the american consumerism point of view than church from a biblical view.

Religion is going out to where they’re praying for rain.

Faith is taking an umbrella with you.

1 Like

I’m going to borrow this. :slight_smile:

My daughter had an idea. She said we should put steeples on our houses.

“Lord, please give me patience because if you just give me strength I’ll need bail money too…”

1 Like