The Supreme Court Just Stopped 1 Million Floridians From Voting in November

So you mean they poisoned pilled it, knowing exactly what the situation is with fines and restitution?

Man Florida just hates letting people vote.

5 Likes

Very poorly written article.

Why wouldn’t felons vote for Republicans?

So the Florida state constitution was amended?

Florida overwhelmingly approved the ballot measure.

It’s republicans that hate letting people vote. The party has become fundamentally opposed to voting and to equal representation.

It appears to be a constitutional amendment, upheld by the SCOTUS, that they must complete their terms before regaining their right to vote.

And republicans can amend the constitution all by themselves? That’s a helluva power to have.

1 Like

The Amendment, passed in 2018, was a CITIZEN’S Initiative. So ultimately, the failure lies with the drafters. They could have drafted it in a manner to exclude fines, fees and restitution, but failed to do so.

Whether right or wrong, moral or immoral, the Florida Legislature was 100% faithful to the 'Amendment when they passed the implementing legislation. They did not violate the letter of the Amendment in a single iota.

Constitutionally and legally, the Florida Legislature’s action is unassailable.

The drafter’s of the amendment should have taken more care in drafting it.

1 Like

4th post in and race card played…well played.

1 Like

Who drafted the amendment?

Some will, but I’ve heard it said many times that a majority of them vote democrat. The state is borderline now, so if 3/4 of them voted democrat, it could be the difference.

I would have to look up the exact name of the group, but it was a private political organization. I will try and look up the group name.

Florida Rights Restoration Coalition.

And these folks drafted the amendment exactly as it was put on the ballot?

Yes, they did.

38% of the Florida prison population is white. Do they not fall under this law?

Poisoned their own pill.

The fact that the state doesn’t even know how much these ex-cons actually owe- a point uncovered in the hearing over which Hinkle presided and made his ruling- a fact the Republicans that added this provision almost certainly knew- puts to the lie your claim.

And Hinkle called the GOP’s bluff with this part of his ruling:

To remedy this injustice, Hinkle issued an injunction allowing ex-felons to vote unless the state could prove they had outstanding court debt. He also let them vote if the state somehow made this showing, but ex-felons lacked the means to pay off that debt.

But of course, the GOP is simply concerned about law and order and not vote suppression.

PS Once again I see that people didn’t bother to actually read the posted article and learn the facts of the case before spouting off their pre-conceived opinions on the matter.

4 Likes

Steady

I guess birds of a feather…