The Senate has postponed all proceedings until Monday, October 19th

With several Republican Senators out of commission and thus with no way to guarantee prevailing in any floor vote, the Senate will conduct pro forma proceedings for the next two weeks and return on October 19th for business.

Keep up the good work, Congress.

1 Like

Well, at least they’ll be getting about the same amount of work done…

1 Like

This includes Barrett’s confirmation hearings?

1 Like

I think the Judiciary Committee is going to TRY to move forward, but it may not be possible.

1 Like

I think that now both houses must reconsider not currently doing testing.

1 Like

What I’m seeing online is that confirmation hearings will commence on the 12th.

1 Like

If school systems all over the country can use Zoom, why can’t the Senate?

Barrett will be confirmed. Bank it!

1 Like

Thanks. I’d be stunned if it doesn’t.

They talked about it before…McConnell refused.

So he would have to walk back another stance in order to allow it.

I suspect if it comes to that, he will do it without blinking.

I agree.

She will get a vote and likely confirmation.

1 Like

I hear that they will. However anything that comes to the floor of the Senate they must be present to vote.

Technically as I understand it.

Remote voting is not something that the Senate has approved. Meaning the votes have to be in person.

So while technically the hearings can continue, the vote out of committee and the floor vote would have to be in person.

With the infection of GOP Senators on the Judiciary Committee and then for floor votes, it would place the ram through confirmation in jeopardy.
.WW, PSHS

While Senate Committee votes may be conducted by proxy, there is a requirement that a majority of the members of a committee be PHYSICALLY present to report a bill or nominee out of a committee. If a couple of Republicans are unable to make it, Democrats could absent themselves from the committee depriving it of a physical quorum and making it impossible to report the nominee out of committee.

I hope McConnell knows what he’s doing.

Thank you for the correction.
.WW, PSHS