The Republican Party's Confusion on Trade

Describe “unfair” what’s the metric? In a “fair trade” does every product exchanged need to have equal monetary value?

Isn’t that where we are today? Ultra rich and poor?

Describe what is considered “fair trade”?

You ignore those in the middle who by far outnumber the other two groups.
(kind of like the way the DNC ignores flyover country during elections) :wink:

A level playing field. Wow. Did you just? Well nevermind.

You are (a) describing why regulation is a good thing. The president is again running in deregulation and (b) a level playing field is the economy is exactly why the left is often accused of being that dirty dirty word

Why isn’t the all powerful free market capable of supplanting the government when it comes to international trade. International companies enter Into agreements all the time. Right?

You guys have no idea how much you are talking out of both sides of the mouth.

I do think harder and I oppose economic nationalism.

By numbers of people but not by wealth

This is very true, as I alluded when I said “crap questionnaires” in the OP. :smile:

1 Like

Loaded question, but in general, fair trade should be that the price/cost of imported goods & services should be on par with those produced locally/nationally in order to promote manufacturing and services within our borders. That keeps our economy going, and we aren’t reliant on others for goods and services. (china and this “pandemic” is a prime example. China pretty much has the world market on medical supplies and manufacturing).

But why? There is a reason we are importing goods that we also manufacture here, right? That tells me we cannot produce enough to meet demand. So why should another country match the prices here, if we are the desperate ones?

It’s like kicking a bale of wool, any impression you made is gone as soon as you stop. This is where I get off the train, it’s going nowhere.

I’ll answer your question with one of my own. (assume there are no tariffs) What happens if China decides to flood the U.S. market with underpriced medical supplies, local manufacturers can’t compete and shut down, you just increased the number of poor people and are now dependent on China for your health care. what happens when China decides to increase prices or stop supplying altogether?

Well in your example wouldnt we just stop importing those Chinese goods? It’s not a trade anymore. Trading is an exchanging of goods. If we stop exchanging goods, we are no longer trading.

Still goes back to my original question… what is a fair trade? Does fair trade always need to be an even exchange of monetary value?

please see post 28, I answered your question. The answer won’t change no matter how often you ask the question.

That didn’t answer my question… you just asked another one.

I disagree completely. The questions are a bit simplistic, but not necessarily contradictory.

Is international trade part of “our free enterprise system”? The second question could very easily be referring to domestic.

Then you didn’t read it.

Incorrect.

I read that and it doesn’t make sense. If we can produce it here, why are we asking for it to be imported?

Then why would we ask for imported goods that we already produce here?