The Rending of the Government Fabric?

Which is what?

Well said.

No It’s not losing the consent of the governed. The moment the economy turns up this will all dissipate. The reaction to covid broke this country but it’s not broken per se.

A tool to impose.

Interesting point, IMO they aren’t trying too. They’re only interest is in themselves.

People see that, thus the reason why consolidating their power.

So you’re agreeing with me then…that SCOTUS is standing in their way?

2 Likes

The ideological divide has only grown stronger since the Covid pandemic. The people got to observe two distinct reactions and policies from two distinct ideological movements that affected them on a personal level.

They found neither one satisfactory.

Political radicalism will only increase over time. Lesser radical ideologies who promise results will gain power over time. Not today, not tomorrow, but some day.

The republic isn’t good enough anymore for a significant portion of the population. That will only increase as the factionalism intensifies.

This is all my opinion. But I believe that long term, this nation will break apart into smaller more manageable countries. The question is will it be a gradual break up that is mostly peaceful? Or will it be a sudden collapse in the future with violence?

3 Likes

Respectfully this is all written out by someone who very very well versed in the history of this country in the 20th century?

Could your post be written in 1966. How about following watergate?

“I do think what happened at the court is tremendously bad,” Thomas said. “I wonder how long we’re going to have these institutions at the rate we’re undermining them, and then I wonder when they’re gone or they are destabilized, what we’ll have as a country – and I don’t think that the prospects are good if we continue to lose them.”

As long as people continue to bury their heads in the sand this is what we are headed for.

I think Trump election scared the hell out of em. Notice how they reacted? Trump wasn’t right or left…he was moderate as they come.

They were worried about losing control, again not talking about lib or repug here…but actual power.

Under Bush and Obama they have consolidated so much power over that period in time…scary when you think about it.

It could be written at any time. But it applies more in times of great ideological strife.

It’s a gradual changing of the times. But the end result is inevitable. Empires rise and fall. We are on the downward trajectory. It could be ten years from now or 100 years from now.

It is inevitable.

Trump was borderline fascist

Se also him attempting to over turn the election that he lost.

No one in this country should accept that.

But there is a large faction that does… that that is now the order of the day.

That is why I am pessimistic

5 Likes

The bull in the China shop scared them. I am going to say that i don’t disagree with you but the truth is that his post 2020 election antics unfortunately proved them right. It almost would have been better if he had won and i don’t mean that things would be better now economically. I don’t have a crystal ball. Nobody does but then they wouldn’t have been proven right….

2 Likes

The state keeps taking sides…at some point you start to alienate everyone…which they have done IMO.

It’s why I advocate/preach that state must remain neutral at all times.

1 Like

I agree that it is inevitable, but a good part of me feels that it didn’t have to be this way.

The post Civil Rights era rise of the far right was funded by monied interests looking out those themselves, not the populous.

The Birchers won.

Now they will get to sit on the ashes of the Republic.

1 Like

It is of course inevitable. I think there is a lot of nihilism that permeates a lot of these positions even if posters don’t want to admit it.

The Birchers won to some extent but so did the left. I think we are all and i mean all falling victim to believing that a loud minority amplified first by the 24 hour news cycle and then by social media is dominating political discourse from either side.

They used covid as a weapon against the people for their reaction too government. As Sneak said…Trump broke them.

1 Like

I am very much a nihilist.

I don’t even see our species lasting past the next 300 years. We will kill ourselves off with the misuse of technology we do not fully understand, or through the age old demon of warfare utilizing more lethal technology.

1 Like

That’s a bit far. The government over reacted to covid like governments do. It’s not a weapon it’s bureaucracy being bureaucratic.

The left deserves blame too.

It’s a failure of everyone. The state, the ideologues, the people as a whole.

Everyone failed. And thus the republic will fail.