The Pork in the Bailout

Maybe you haven’t seen the impact this is having on the arts community, but it’s devistating.

I heard some discussions on news about MRD’s today but was preoccupied so i really wasn’t listening. Maybe worth a couple minutes to check on AARP website or Google.

I thought they quit covering him because they don’t like viewers.

1 Like

I wasn’t including NPR news in the general art world tho I understand the connection. Are earmark’s for National Endowments Arts meant to go to the employees? If yes, I can accept that. If meant to fund new activities, then I object. Not urgent enuf right now.

You could be right about that. I’ve forecasted and budgeted further than that “just in case”.

For freedom of speech?
Huh, sounds more like North Korea.

Propaganda mill is not freedom of speech.

1 Like

So you don’t like Fox News or OAN?

They are private enterprise - not the same as NPR.

1 Like

I know right? That isn’t how this works. That isn’t how any of this works.

Not to justify pork but if they gave each Senator and each Representative $25M for their own particular bail out project we’d be missing 1/2 of one percent of the total bail out.

1 Like

CBP is supposed to ensure that NPR IS non-partisan. Right …

What is the CPB’s role in public broadcasting?

The CPB is distinct from both National Public Radio (NPR) and the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). It is not a broadcaster, but a private corporation created by Congress in 1967 with two primary functions:

1. Serve as a firewall between partisan politics and public broadcasting

2. Help fund programming, stations and technology

Misinformation is partisan?

One goes to prison for the act of robbing a bank - not based on amount they take. So, saying that pork isn’t so much of total pkg is like saying the crooks didn’t take “that” much from the bank. Hang ‘em high.

Not sure what that means. I thought this is a one-time check.

Huh??

Right now it’s a one time payment.

When do businesses start being alowed to open: I say June 1. (The reply was to speculation that Easter or May1 will be when restriction start being lifted). Goes into June, look for stimulus round 2. That still might happen before then.

Left wing Axios is already speculating that April will be round 2.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-stimulus-bill-what-it-does-b4fa6c4d-6e45-4d15-8089-d51c655bc1c9.html

Even if the bill passes, the story won’t be over:

• We are likely to be in this same situation again, economists say — and soon.
  • Another stimulus bill will likely be necessary to get the economy running after the COVID-19 outbreak has been contained.
  • More immediately, it’s possible that a second massive spending bill will be needed just to stop further bleeding.

What it means: “This should not be thought of as a stimulus bill — this should be thought of as social insurance in a disaster state of the world for the most hard hit,” Jonathan Parker, professor of finance at MIT, told Axios during a virtual briefing with reporters Wednesday.

• “The idea is to freeze time for a month or six weeks and let people emerge with not a huge amount of debt — not starving, not being evicted.”

Six weeks would be end of April 1st of May for their speculated Round 2 of another Trillion or three

1 Like

I don’t doubt the prediction that more money will follow.

Ongoing until June just sounded different than a one-time check.