The Politics Forum and What Makes a Good Political Thread

In your opinion, is your opinion the one that counts in that thread?

Does foreign language require an English translation?

If we didn’t, Fever Dreams would be full.

Each post had an English translation.

No it didn’t. Some did, some didn’t. I looked.

Natural evolution of a thread.

Disrespect for the OP. If he wanted to start a cooking thread in OTB, he’s capable of doing that.

Sometimes I’ll say something off base or awkwardly, and it maybe is so awkward its funny, and maybe it calms the tensions. Discussion goes a different way for a while. Is that wrong…if it keeps things from getting heated?

1 Like

OK, my two cents. I think some of the complaints about trolling are valid (as would be on any political forum) and some of them are complaints from people who want an echo chamber rather than have their politics challenged.

I mods should definitely try to keep it civil and that’s about it. Civility rules are less subjective than rules about trolling but still pretty subjective.

Threads take interesting twists and turns sometimes.

Regardless, I like the mode notes especially when they explain the rule that is close to being broken causing the potential sanction.

I also like the warnings as people do get heated.

I would think a conservative discussion board would be as hands off as possible, right?

1 Like

And yet your posts in that thread, were also not on topic.

This feels like Melania’s Be Best campaign while ignoring what actually goes on here.

4 Likes

The only post that didn’t was the original by rp5x5.

It didn’t.

3 Likes

Exactly, threads have natural evolution to them, as discussion ebbs and flows. Sometimes tangents are short, sometimes long, and other times, it changes the thread completely. It’s part of the natural flow of dialogue.

2 Likes

Yup. That’s what made this a great place.

1 Like

To summarize:

1. You hate Fever Dreams. Easy enough. We gave you the tips on how to keep your posts out of there in the OP of this thread. It’s not a requirement, it’s a suggestion. You don’t have to follow it, you can continue to do what you’ve always done. We will react to each case individually, as we have always done. It was simply an attempt to help.

2. Mod Notes - I’m unsure if you want them or not. We’ll discuss it as a mod group when we get a chance.

3. I will greatly reduce my personal attempts to save you from your own behavior. Understand that means more deletions and possible sanctions.

4. Please don’t try to address moderation in a discussion thread. It’s disruptive. There will be no warnings for it. Community Feedback or PM.

5. For those of you trying, thank you.

6. Thank you all for your civil participation.