The Personal Defensive Weapon

No, I mean the RFP (Request for Proposals) that DHS released, requesting bids for a PDW contract.

You know, the topic of this thread.

Here the SOW:

https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=09c3d5e933bc24416b752b57294a17b3

I thought I was asking you…but I digress.

What were you asking me?

What is your PDW of choice?

If we’re talking about the class of weapon, I enjoy shooting the FN PS90.

If we’re talking about a weapon I carry for personal defense, the answer is none.

An AR-15 rifle, which is what the article attached to the OP is talking about, does not fit the PDW classification.

The article in the OP does not say that DHS was looking to buy AR-15s.

Neither does the DHS RFP.

" A report by Steve McGough of RadioViceOnline.com cites a General Service Administration request for a proposal on behalf of DHS seeking more than 7,000 AR-15s and matching 30-round clips “suitable for personal defense use in close quarters.”

:rofl:

Well, apologies. It appears that the Washingtimes lied.

Here’s the RFP:

https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=d791b6aa0fd9d3d8833b2efa08300033&tab=core&_cview=0

That RFP does not appear to exclude AR-15s.

I haven’t examined all the specs, so I don’t know.

But since they’re specifically requesting bids for PDWs, as you said, AR-15s don’t fit that classification.

In the third PDF file described as “Section C - Description/Specifications/Statement of Work” there is an overall length maximum (20 inches stock folded/30 inches fully extended. An M4 with a 10-inch barrel meets that spec.) and a requirement that the guns accept AR-16 magazines that suggest strongly that they are not looking for the compact guns that are classified as PDWs.

Except for the part right at the top, where they say:

The scope of this contract is to provide a total of up to 7,000 5.56x45mm North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) personal defense weapons (PDW) throughout the life of this contract…

The specifications say otherwise.

I’m not sure I understand what your point is.

Why not? It was your point.

What does that have to do with the subject at hand?

How is it they are “Personal Defnsive Weapons” in the hands of federal agents but they are “weapons of war”, and “assault weapons” in the hands of civilians?

Probably best not to comment on the content of the story without reading it.

A report by Steve McGough of RadioViceOnline.com cites a General Service Administration request for a proposal on behalf of DHS seeking more than 7,000 AR-15s and matching 30-round clips “suitable for personal defense use in close quarters.”

They are “Personal Defense Weapons” in the hands of federal agents because that’s the NATO classification for that specific type of rifle.

They are “assault weapons” and “weapons of war”, too. The first modern PDW was the FN P90 - a weapon of war, developed by various militaries to replace the carbines.

It’s better to read the actual RFP, than rely on bad reporting.