THE Official Unoffiial Midterm Elections Results Thread

Why, because Trump Inc. owns a hotel or something in countries like China, and collects rent from people in those governments who are occupying spaces?

Is it illegal for Trumps corporation to collect rent? And because his company does collect rent, where do you make the leap that he is receiving cash payouts from foreign governments?

How?

What I’m saying is there is a Constitutional reason to demand a birth certificate. Even make it public.

Not so with tax returns.

I agree. And I don’t believe Obama was not qualified for President.

The qualifications are clear.

Want and need are two different things.

Yes, because their is no justification to do so. Otherwise any Congress controlled by an opposing political party can make the assumption that the president might be capable of violating laws, and just start demanding they get their hands on decades of financial and personal records and try to find something illegal or untoward to pin on them.

Evidence and an assumption of guilt, are also two separate things.

The dems assumed Trump was capable of the traitorous act of colluding with the Russian government to win election.

Now they assume he is guilty for the traitorous act of taking money from foreign governments to do their bidding.

There is a long list of “gee I think the President might be capable of illegally doing XYZ,” but that should not be the justification for going on a witch hunt and grabbing decades of personal and financial records.

You asked on what basis they could seek his tax returns, I gave you the answer… The house has every right to hold hearings on presidents and emoluments in both an oversight and legislative capacity. You can stomp your feet all day, it’s not going to change the fact that they have the authority. I fully expect the president to claim executive privilege and the courts to determine the legitimacy of the subpoena.

Yeah, I posted earlier that this election was an indication that women in general don’t approve of the way the leader of the Republican party treats women like meat.

I’m glad more women are standing up and being heard. They are not accessories.

You do not have any evidence of him doing stuff like that. Just because you assume the worst about a person is not proper justification to root around in their personal records just because you think they might be a crook on something, something.

How has President Trump treated women as meat?

Or is this about what civilian Trump said ten to forty years ago?

How old is Trump?

You gave no answer. Just assuming Trump is an evil person, and gee golly wow you think he is capable of all kinds of criminal activity, is not sufficient. Otherwise anyone some politician doesn’t like can be subjected to a witch hunt by the federal government.

what if the 114th Congress despised Obama, and thought him capable of receiving bribes in the form of money from foreign governments buying his book, or funding his speeches? Is that sufficient grounds to demand his tax and personal records? No.

Let’s see…

Every politician for ages has released their tax returns for the American public to see. Donald Trump was the 1st person in forever not to.

If I were you I wouldn’t put any bank on him having clean returns. It runs in the family.

So what. Releasing your tax returns has never been a requirement. What legal right is their to force a candidate to release their tax returns, medical records, college transcripts, etc…? None.

Demanding the release of tax returns has been a political ploy by politicians with a life long history of low paying government service. Their records are boring, and they use their government employee salaries juxtaposed to the tax returns of wealthy civilians, to make them out to be “rich,” “out of touch,” yadda, yadda. Like belittling Romney for having a mansion with a garage elevator, etc…or their low charitable donations, all to be used as a club to beat them with in campaign attack ads.

Yes, they actually do…

26 U.S. Code § 6103 - Confidentiality and disclosure of returns and return information

(f) Disclosure to Committees of Congress

(1) Committee on Ways and Means, Committee on Finance, and Joint Committee on Taxation
Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the
House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate,
or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish such
committee with any return or return information specified in such request, except that
any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify,
directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when
sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to
such disclosure

She’s had some odd moments in news conferences lately…

You beat me to it. I heard about this on the radio and subsquent research showed me that the can request the tax records of any taxpayer in the US.

Committee rejects tax impeachment for Nixon, July 30, 1974

Guess what law they used to get his tax returns?

Perhaps some want the choice to give their DNA for a lower cost. You don’t need law to foster competition. In fact they usually take players out of markets and thus limit choice.

1 Like

Trump had a much better chance of negotiating with the Senate to attempt to get his legislation passed prior to yesterday than he does today so yes the dems taking the house is not meaningless.

Alex Marr on Breitbart has admitted that Trump has been a legislative failure with only a tax cut that he can boast about. Not that it matters, Trump supporters would believe him if he lied and said the wall has been built.

Note that this statute says that these returns are to be “in closed executive session”. Its going to be hard to make political points on this without it being pretty obvious that the law is being undermined by those who would use it.