The most important Senator says no to $2,000 checks

Oh well. Bring it to vote. He can vote against it as many times a day as he likes.

I agree. Bring it to the floor, let them all make their arguments and cast their votes then let the chips fall where they may.

Last time I looked manchin is not in charge of the senate.

Letā€™s have a vote on 2k and let the chips fall as they may.

Allan

Did he happen to tweet who those might be? And how this would be determined?

Exactly.

No but I see the point is being missed.

What he was telegraphing is that he was not a firm no and that the thesis of the OP was mistaken.

THAT is the point.

Such small thinking.

Nope thatā€™s really good thinking.

Lots of people agree with that idea.

Allan

WV plates will be filled with bacon.

1 Like

No actually itā€™s good thinking to see how firm Manchinā€™s ā€œnoā€ actually is.

Because as I stated twice now, I donā€™t believe Manchinā€™s ā€œnoā€ is all that firm at all, since he essentially telegraphed his ā€œnoā€ was simply his opening position.

Nowā€¦as a potential swing vote, certainly Manchinā€™s will have leverage. But the leverage of public opinion may (depending on how the people of WV feel about $2,000 checksā€¦or any other policy) also be employed.

Or as others pointed out, if there are moderate Republicans that will flip, then Manchinā€™s power as a swing voter will be muted (a less likely outcome in my opinion but it depends on the policy being voted for).

The point is, there will be votes on the table now that never got there before because McConnell blocked them. Easy to be in solidarity when the vote is never going to happen. Not so easy when the vote will happen.

The $2 Grand was a bribe for votes, Jā€™Biden said so in Georgia campaigning before the runoffs. The Dims HAVE to pay up.
That ā€˜Ol Joey from Scranton is crafty no? Getting Ukrainian prosecutors fired, votes for anti-Semitic racists and CCP financial beneficiaries.
48 years in politics bet me his wrinkly old arse didnā€™t learn a few things. Spread around a little cash and poof! Things happen!

President Trump asked for 2k first.

1 Like

I donā€™t need on either per seā€™. I will stimulate the economy with mine if I get it.

So did Mnuchin. Well until McConnell shut it down anyway.

The bottom line is we are going to need to something bigger for those that have been financially crushed by the pandemic. I would prefer it be targeted to those that need it most, but I donā€™t think that is possible.

2 Likes

Heā€™s not a dependable ally. They canā€™t count on him and heā€™s letting them know that.

1 Like

Heā€™s letting him know not to take him for granted.

Thatā€™s different than not being able to count on him.

Instead of the $600.00 table scraps included in a foreign government pork package. Trump didnā€™t dangle the $2K as a bribe for votes. He wanted real Covid relief not exporting tax dollars for ā€œgender study in Pakistanā€?

1 Like

Whatā€™s the difference?

ā€œTake for grantedā€ does not mean the same thing as ā€œcanā€™t count onā€.