The Minneapolis safety patrol. What good will they be?

I think that quite a bit of the new structure will be as a result of negotiations with the local and national police unions. The unions are not just going to lay down and have their members fired. Police unions are very strong. And from what I have read, overall they are welcome to reform that might keep their officers from doing some types of calls (like non-violent mental health calls).

They are making their bed and will now lie in it for all of the world to watch and observeā€¦just how stupid an idea it was to get rid of the police. I hope the good people of this city survive.

I already cleaned it. Did exactly as you asked. Now you are asking for more?

You did convict an entire group of people.

"Especially when trained people are killing citizens by kneeling on their necks for almost 9 minutes."

Explain which ā€œpeopleā€ you were referring to? Maybe give me a dozen or so names?
And by all means, flag away. I insist. :blush:

http://www.endthebacklog.org/

3,482 untested rape kids in Minnesota.

But sure, we need more street cops.

They will bail out. They have no clue on what to do. They love ideas, but not actual plans. Soon they will panic and throw in the towel. Or just drag it out and let it die of natural causes. Thatā€™s what happens when there are no grown ups involved.

The city council members should not be allowed to hire private security at taxpayer expense. They need to live by what they preach.

1 Like

Zero chance of this happening. Who is going to challenge them? CNN?

They endanger the lives of the citizens in their city, but itā€™s fine for them to have security ($4500.00 per day) because of unfounded threats. Thatā€™s rich!

2 Likes

As I said, Why shouldnā€™t they? They will be elected no matter what sleazy crap they do.

True, they get what they elected. However this is a new ā€œthingā€. May not go over to well in the long run.

Iā€™m sure random people off the street will do better. Of course, you could train them for monthsā€¦but then they would be cops.

who said these people would be random? For the record, I am not for defunding the police but your arguments are not holding water

They wonā€™t be armed. They will carry magic fairy dust that makes everybody happy and peaceful. :fairy:

If they take people, check their backgrounds, give them lengthy training, educate them in proper procedures thenā€¦they have a new set of police. What has that accomplished except cost a lot of money?
If they can get better people then why didnā€™t they do it when they called them ā€œthe policeā€?

Now when this all crashes in on them they cannot be allowed to be bailed out at the expense of the Federal Government (unless, of course, you have Biden and a Democrat Senate, in which case that is exactly what will happen).

One police officer asphyxiated George Floyd.

Why do very few people have anything negative to say about the union that may help Derek Chauvin & three other officers at the scene get their jobs back?

Maybe unions are part of the problem when it comes to retention of rogue officers.

I have only negative things to say about the police unions. They are absolutely a part of the core problem with police culture.

Republicans will happily stand up to a teacher union revolt. But both parties are (rightly) afraid to even glance towards the police unions. They fight dirty.

What if it worksā€¦

It just might.

When I see that evidence rooms across the country are filled with thousands of untested rape kids, and other forensic evidence just sitting there wasting away when it could put criminals away, it says to me we need less of a focus of beat cops and more on processing the actual evidence and actually trying to conclude most cases.

Do I need a beat cop to come stare at my broken shop window for 30 minutes before he calls the Crime scene unit to come take prints to just be left on a shelf somewhere until a year later i get an email saying ā€œcase closedā€? I donā€™t think I do.

1 Like

Is this the new word for murdered?

When, 15 years from now when theyā€™re released from prison?

Unions have been and always will be part of the problem.