The internet killed journalism

Sensational, yes. Whichever could attract the most audience over the largest spread of demographics.

Important, sometimes.

I don’t think they care so much about the revenue anymore. I don’t know if it’s the dems or media calling the shots but they are certainly joined at the hip.

Much to the detriment of our country.

2 Likes

Could be interesting to see how much corporate welfare some of the big sleez outfits receive.

2 Likes

It would indeed.

2 Likes

The article mentions Trump’s attack on the media. That attack was made inevitable by that same media. They decided to demonize Trump to destroy him. Fifty years ago that would have worked. Today there are enough alternate information sources so that they cannot shame half the country. They only lost their own credibility with half the country.

5 Likes

Best thing our mostly crappy news media has ever done - attacking this enemy of the republic who sought to overturn the results of three free and fair elections.

I haven’t heard the traitor’s horrible voice in months, and for that I am grateful.

A third, and it’s the stupid third, all of whom already believed anything their unemployed Uncle from Arkansas posts on Facebook.

1 Like

Pretty good article. I think he fantasized a bit, but not bad.

2 Likes

Who forced it?

I disagree.

1 Like

Editors , who in turn were forced by their bosses who were told by owners. Owners too were mainly concerned with circulation numbers. The more readers the more they could charge for ads. Balanced reporting that people could believe got more readers from varied political beliefs. Hard news. It worked.

It doesn’t work now that the reader is in charge, especially when divisive political figures hit the scene.

I couldn’t disagree more. Epitaph and Nugget. Cronkite and Tet. Hearst and the 17th Amendment.

The press has always been dirty. And now they are the media.

2 Likes

That doesn’t mean they didn’t generally put out a good product. I claim no great expertise in the matter however.

The big difference is that now no one has a monopoly. It is no longer the NYTs with big broadcasting jumping in line.

3 Likes

Youtube independent news wonks are pulling down ten times CNN shows views. One of the reasons they must be canceled.

3 Likes

he just exposed them harder. since no one else had the stones

2 Likes

But they are not being canceled. Funny that.

Umm, yes they are. Many that said anything about lab leaks or ivermectin got
scrubbed.

The lack of actual journalism killed journalism. If there was an actual source now, that was neutral and unbiased, simply providing news…it’d be well watched. It doesn’t exist though. The “news” has become a trough to feed what the owners of the outlets want you to be fed…and nothing more.

1 Like

Another part of the death of journalism has been the capture of corporate media by the CIA and other surveillance agencies. What evidence is there that all the subscribers are even real people?

When the media are not spewing CIA propaganda, they are simply acting as infomercials for the corporate interests. Most are owned by huge multinational corporations who recognize that political influence is the real value of the media.

1 Like

Many that reported unverified speculation as fact got canceled. Completely different.