The Hate U Give

Anybody seen this? Good movie. I believe it casts the original BLM stated purpose in a very favorable light. Multiple dynamics we have been discussing for months on this forum.

It’s on cinemax.

Great movie. Very sad.

1 Like

One of the lines: “If you don’t see my blackness, you don’t see me.”

Oh yeah.

I like Common as an actor.

This is exactly why I don’t like the statement “I am color blind” as it pertains to race. That statement isn’t limited to conservatives either. I’ve heard plenty of libs say it too.

He’s pretty good. One of my favorite rappers too.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen it, but I’m familiar with the story. The book it’s based on has been making the rounds for the last few years.

I’ve heard it’s very good.

He’s great in Hell on Wheels.

1 Like

Indeed.

I thought making the protagonist a female was interesting.

Loved the part where she pulled the hair brush on her white friend.

Good film. Better propaganda than burning Bibles.

I agree with all of this.
Definitely facts.

1 Like

Have you seen the film?

Yes…

What did you think about it?

I like to pretend that part didn’t ever happen. :wink:

Agreed on all counts. If you’ll pardon the expression, it completely whitewashes the black experience.

1 Like

You seen it?

I saw it a couple of months ago. I wish I would have viewed it in the theaters. It was good.

• The talk
  • life in some predom. black community (not all of them have gang issues as people believe)
  • code switching
  • dealing with the police, trust and distrust
  • talking vs. keeping your mouth close
  • allies vs. non allies
  • Criminalizing the victim
  • protesting
  • tone deafness of the issue
  • BLM
  • ALM (which is still a BS narrative)
  • WP
  • and of course the not seeing color narrative

The movie is appropriate for this country’s current situation. This has nothing to do with party because when it comes to racism in the United States it has been a bi-partisan effort.

and that’s all I’m going to say about this…

1 Like

I liked the part where the father lined the kids up in the yard after the problem at the restaurant.

Strong nuclear family of faith.

Had to reinforce those points, especially for Starr.

16 is a tough age.

Isn’t it possible most white people in modern times, DON’T see color and that’s why they say it?,

You see color only as any visual face identifier. If people are not preoccupied with skin color, how could that be bad?

Why would that statement bother you? It bothers me and many white people, that caring about skin color seems racist and a weird preoccupation or obsession. This makes the accusations of racism, like saying all whites are racist, very upside down.

I was mugged and beaten once by a group of about 5 or 6 blacks on a sidewalk as I was walking to my car, at night. in a residential area of Hollywood. My face was black and blue. They had just been walking as was I and there had been no interaction and provocation, until one of them stopped me said something like “do you have a cigarette?”. Then started punching me, over and over again, taking turns.

Luckily a neighbor saw what was going on and called police who showed up immediately, because they were already ripping my clothes off on a dimly lit sidewalk in front of a house. The criminals ran.

Had I seen them before this happened I might have avoided them and noticed they were following me and been more cautious, but had it been a group of 5 white thuggish gang-like types I would have avoided them just as much. Thuggish gang-like people come in all colors. It’s not like I’d be more suspicious of blacks than whites.