The government will control what the media says . . .

Might want to look a little into limitations of free speech.

Quick refresher…

The government most certainly can do something when speech violates those boundaries.

They have the Presidency, House and Senate now. They don’t need no stinkin’ constitution.

5 Likes

Were does lying fit in the listed exceptions a-f?

1 Like

I think he missed this part.

f. Commercial advertising: Speech advertising a product or service is constitutionally protected, but not as much as other speech. For instance, the government may ban misleading commercial advertising, but it generally can’t ban misleading political speech.

1 Like

Didn’t realize the news media was “advertising a product or service.” Or providing “misleading political speech.” Fascinating.

AOC is all about stifling media. She did not draw the line at news.

2 Likes

She’s not being deplatformed, losing committee assignments in the House, and no other Democrat is condemning these remarks. Their collective silence is an endorsement.

1 Like

For anyone who wants to actually hear the bit Fox is talking about, here’s the “AOC live” queued up to the media literacy bit:

She was rather vague. Its pretty much just a research thing, not necessarily any actions. I posted the actual clip above.

For the record I oppose such censorship.

I guess deplatformed is the new boogeyman word we will be hearing repeated ad nauseam.

And as seeing it happened just yesterday, its kinda early to say what will happen to her isn’t it?

This is more of the same “reality is unknowable…truth and lies are not objectively determinible…so it’s just that someone’s opinion of reality will dominate” crap.

I don’t think you can fight disinformation via government action so I am against this idea.

I don’t (necessarily) mind the private sector driving media literacy initiatives or studying disinformation tactics.

But in the end people need to stop being so damn lazy. So long as they just give up and stop resisting the “believe first, and then seek out only confirming data” approach that is so natural to humans, disinformation will reign supreme., and be amplified at the speed of light.

1 Like

Absolutely nothing will happen to her.

Well that’s only the single worst idea in the entire long sad history of ■■■■■■ ideas.

Media literacy.

As a stand-alone phrase it would be to use a discerning eye in one’s consumption of media in general.

I dare say there are plenty of posters right here that could stand to practice just that.

Who’s life has been ruined?

Most honest and accurate thing I’ve seen in a long long time.

Sure it does.

This little part here by AOC

and we’re going to have to figure out how we rein in our media environment so that you can’t just spew disinformation, and misinformation,"

You will say what we tell you is the truth.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone needs to do anything about what people say (to an extent). I do think there needs to be a fairly easy way to tell if you’re getting information that is based on some semblance of fact or is pure opinion/fiction. The true problem is that people confuse opinion and fact when there is no clear way to differentiate the two.

This happens on here all the time. It’s not a left or right issue. It’s universal. Some person or some organization gets a reader or viewer to pay attention and over time (or desire) people just assume they’re telling the truth.

So. What do you do? Same thing as in other professions. You license fact based news media and individuals and hold them to a higher standard. If they want to be licensed news media and advertise themselves as such, they have to be based in reality. They have to follow standards required by their license. If people decide they don’t want to get their information from a licensed news source, they still can. At least those looking for news not pure opinion (or fiction) can do so.

It’s by no means a new idea. In some ways, I believe that’s what AOC was referring to.

https://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5613&context=flr

Of course it’s not a new idea, despots and tyrants all over the world have been controlling what their citizens can read, see or listen to since the dawn of time.

4 Likes

AOC will have to change the term free press to reined in press?