The government will control what the media says . . .

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said that Congress is “looking into” media literacy initiatives to help “rein in” the press to combat misinformation in the wake of last week’s deadly breach of the U.S. Capitol.

ooooh literacy initiatives for the press to help them know what’s true and what’s false! Will CNN, MSNBC et al get training to know when accusing the President of being a russian agent is false?

I do think that several members of Congress, in some of my discussions, have brought up media literacy because that is a part of what happened here and we’re going to have to figure out how we rein in our media environment so that you can’t just spew disinformation, and misinformation," Ocasio-Cortez said.

Damn well better apply to the left wing lame stream drive by media as well.

And she’s wrong to suggest that, thats way over the line…See how easy it is to say your own side is wrong?

1 Like

There are multiple threads bemoaning the idea that news media personalities inject opinion into their delivery.

https://community.hannity.com/t/objective-journalism-from-cnn-really

Now people are upset that someone says the news media shouldn’t be able to outright lie?

I don’t get it. Opinionated news media bad. Outright lying news media OK?

3 Likes

As long as the lies are the lies they believe…all is good.

It’s interesting. We’ve had four years of “fake news,” specific reporters and agencies being singled out and even excluded from press meetings for their supposed bias, and general mistrust and disdain thrown towards the news media. After all these cries of the press lying and twisting the truth, people are now upset when someone says lying in the media should possibly be studied?

It seems that those who have spent the last four years complaining about the media lying should welcome the opportunity to study and maybe even do something about it.

2 Likes

Oh, it’s pretend the previous administration never did anything to reporters day.

Cool.

Do we get t-shirts? Can we at least get a free pen?

1 Like

Did they post news articles claiming Trump is an Russian agent, or did just their opinion and editorial pieces?

well, it would be easier if we just didn’t elect a president who lied all the time, but the fact is, media outlets amplified these lies and helped stir up an insurrection that led to 5 deaths, including a LEO.

1 Like

Is this idiot (AOC) stating this would only apply to certain areas of media or did she say “the media” which is rather all inclusive?

Obama tried to get a Truthiness Bureau going also.

What was old is new again.

Honestly, America would be better off without 24/7 political news channels.

1 Like

Nah nah nah after four years of Fox acting like state run media worshipping the Dear Leader y’all don’t get to act like this.

4 Likes

It’s not supposed to make any sense or be consistent. It’s just about expressing hurt feelings.

What government official would be appropriate to tell the media what is and isn’t a lie? Would you be ok with the Trump administration doing this, or is it ok now that the Democrats have control?

1 Like

I would have to see what was proposed. No single government official should decide what is and isn’t a lie. No single political part should be able to either. AOC was nowhere near proposing either.

From the article…

“I can say, there is absolutely a commission being discussed but it seems to be more investigatory, in style rather than truth and reconciliation, so I think that’s an interesting concept for us to explore, and I do think that several members of Congress, in some of my discussions, have brought up media literacy because that is a part of what happened here and we’re going to have to figure out how we rein in our media environment so that you can’t just spew disinformation and misinformation,” Ocasio-Cortez said.

“It’s one thing to have differentiating opinions but it’s another thing entirely to just say things that are false,” she continued. “So that’s something that we’re looking into.”

There it is. A committee being discussed to investigate. That’s it. That’s all.

Honestly, what’s the point? It’s a governmental overreach, and Fraudsters don’t believe anything that isn’t sourced from nutjob.com.

Seems a silly idea.

We might need to look in to actual literacy issues first.

Thread title does not reflect article or information.

I know AOC is burned into republican brains, but you’d think if that were the case they could make an argument over what was said instead of what they fantasize her saying.

What is the point of investigating something the constitution forbids government to do anything about?

3 Likes

They got there before. Now you have unhinged AOC leading the charge in a dem controlled political environment in which people cheer deplatforming and literally ruining peoples lives with their cancel culture and doxxing.

The frog has been in the pot for some time with this issue. The heat has just been turned up a couple notches.

2 Likes

Exactly.