The Future of US Public Primary Education

There is no “American language”.

That’s racist.

That has nothing to do with teaching Spanish is US schools. Spanish is the second most spoken language in the US and one of the most spoken languages across the world, particularly in North and South America.

If we were a bilingual nation it would only help us economically and politically.

3 Likes

That’s true. I read somewhere they come from 156 different countries.

There is no official language. That should change, English and Spanish should both be given official status. That would allow us to stop catering to every minority language under the sun.

That’s exclusive.

It’s also smart.

J’Biden’s delusional invitation for the flood Hispanic immigrants into America has created whole communities of non-English speaking dependents of the taxpayers. Ol Joey and his handlers believe these folks will assimilate, learn English and be good little Dimbulbcrat voting ‘Mericans.
Anyone who works with, knows of and lives in proximity of these Hispanic enclaves knows as usual Brandon is a ■■■■■■■ moron.

It would disproportionately affect black people and therefore proof of racism.

The Spanish requirement would build the capacity to effectively communicate with what will very soon be 20% of the population.

Teach in English, answer questions and clarify understanding in Spanish as necessary.

1 Like

I don’t know about that

Lol. What language is the Declaration of Independence written. Spanish?

All the founding documents for this nation to my knowledge were in English.

It’s the Language for 87% of the population speaks at home.

Allan

American students learning a second language is harmful how?

The language requirement (the students choose which one to learn) in my state of residence isn’t costing me any sleep, but neither would I be losing any over Spanish if that was the first offering.

The other thing I’ll point out here is that this is not an issue with most schools. The children who only speak Spanish are generally concentrated in certain communities as they are typically very poor. In my years teaching it was extremely rare to get a Spanish student who didn’t speak fluent English. Actually I got more students from other countries that struggled with the language than Spanish students.

I agree.

I would go as far as actually declaring official languages for the US on the Federal level. As of now, we technically don’t have one if I’m not mistaken.

English and Spanish should both be recognized as Federal level official languages of the United States.

1 Like

Spanish is used by enough Americans now to be considered a co-equal language with English. Millions of Americans speak it as either a primary or secondary language every single day.

Certain segments of the country, like border counties in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona, Miami-Dade, and Southern California have more citizens who speak Spanish as their primary language with English being their secondary than the other way around.

It’s time we recognized it. We are a bilingual country. In fact, my second biggest regret (after not joining the military out of high school) is that I cannot speak Spanish. I’ve been trying to learn, and I’m at a point now where I can identify most auto parts in Spanish (I work in aftermarket auto retail and Mississippi has a fast growing Guatemalan and Mexican population) and ask basic questions and understand single word answers. But I can’t hold a conversation in Spanish. I have a long way to go and I doubt I’ll ever get rid of the gringo accent. But in the end I feel that it will be worth it if I can achieve proficiency.

I would declare English and Spanish as the official languages of the United States on the federal level. Primary education would include include Spanish primary speakers learning English and English primary speakers learning Spanish through their time in the public education system.

87-13.

Not enough for co-equal language in my opinion, yours obviously differs from mine.

Do,you,want to be like Canada were everything is bi-ligual?

Allan

13%? That’s over 40 million Americans.

Yes, we should be bilingual like Canada. In many places Spanish is already used side by side with English. Having both as official languages could simplify things by letting us not need to cater every other language in the world.

Spanish speakers are more than 13% of the US population.

I think the 13% number is based on those that speak it as their primary language at home.

And growing.

1 Like