The decline of the middle class and the causes of it

I know, I know, I know…what we were talking about is different?

Do not be obtuse. If in the end you wanted an end to illegal immigration you would want employers of such folks punished hard.

If you wanted better lives for American folks you would want better deals negotiated with out the damage this trade war is going to do.

I want a balance and stability in the marketplace. I don’t want government intervention (although there are times when it’s required) which then tilts the balance to one side or the other. I want people to decide for themselves if this is their chosen career path? If too many say no, the pay must go up and again “we” will have balance and stability.

What percentage of US workers belonged to unions in 1970?

“UNIONS!” Doesn’t explain anything in non-union areas.

One of the interesting thing I learned is even in free trade deals working conditions for for workers are subject to negotiation. So those conditions that make it more attractive to use places like Bangladesh or China are against many trade deals but the folks who are supposed to enforce that turn a blind eye because they are told to by their governments.

Tariffs are nothing but pure government intervention yet you say nothing.

Free trade agreements that make sure there is a balanced playing field help everyone.

The tariffs I support concern a negative balance of trade. Notice the word “balance” again.

Red states win the same way Mexico China and Bangladesh win.

Yeah and neah…by keeping the jobs here, “we” get the tax benefits both as revenue plus a reduction in necessary government assistance.

You want to see an end to a trade imbalance then you want people in other countries to be making more money then they become consumers.

Tariffs do not fix that.

How does a “free trade agreement”, which is also pure government intervention, level the playing field without tariffs?

Yes they can.

The jobs would not have to leave. American workers would have to make themselves competitive by being easier to train and productive as a worker in another country making a comparable wage.

There are too many “ifs” and “generalizations” in your globalistic dream that I have concerns with so that I’d rather take care of business closer to home and in the shorter run.

Language about working conditions access to markets.

You have yet to explain why trade deficits are bad or harmful. Are you advocating that every country has balanced trade with each other? If so, how would that work? Does Bangladesh have to buy the same amount of stuff from the U.S. as we buy from them?

Workers in other countries don’t make comparable wages.

How does a free trade agreement address working conditions?

You are not fixing anything as you have set up a system that doesn’t have an interest in fixing things.

Conservatives here are trying to do the same thing. They want no more public money in elections meaning all politicians are bought and paid for.

It’s a negative cash flow.