The Catch--22 of Preventive Measures

Mwevans has dysentery.

His children mock his diarrhea and don’t respect his strenuous pace and hunting prowess.

Mwevans dies on Snake River.

The end :frowning:

1 Like

My family was never buoyant, so I always arrived alone, if at all. :rofl:

1 Like

Panic caused by the media.

Sorry if I extrapolated too much from your post here and your posts (and others) complaining about the media and why they’re doing what they’re doing in the Coronavirus - political thread.

Nope. You are reading too much into what I said. I said it may not pan out to have been the great threat that was expected of it. I even included an example where we went through all the panic before but it turned out to have been exaggerated…not that there was some great conspiracty behind it, just that it wasn’t what was threatened or feared.
Check out the great “swine flu” of 1976, that wasn’t.
And I did not say that this (or your hypothetical case) was also not what everybody feared and prepared for…just that this is one possibility. It could be the case.

I have said in other threads that I thought some media was using the current situation to attack Trump, but that is not what I am talking about here.

They were both wrong when I was 16 and they’re both wrong now. :smiley:

Something you read on a piece of paper is not real life. You are in denial.

I didn’t say that at all. You changed my words. I said some of the kids raised by former hippies may not have turned out well but described that as a minority.

Most of my kids classmates growing up turned out just as well.

So you agree with me that the current crop of 20s/30s people is not, as Smyrna argues, the “sorriest generation”?

I’m perfectly satisfied if that’s what you walk away with. Please tell him and your fellow boomers the world is not falling apart.

There is no sorriest generation.

Just bumping this up.

As we get all these closings, I was thinking we’d contain the virus and when there were so few cases and deaths, people would start talking about how silly the containment and isolation was.

Never realizing that it was the containment by isolation and closures that resulted in so few cases.

Then I read that parents are letting their kids go out and play with each other. So much for quarantine.

That’s the problem. Letting kids out of school was not a “quarantine”. It was letting them out of a crowded situation. No one that I am aware of mandated that those kids had to stay in quarantine for any number of days along with their parents.

Surely that’s a failure of the public health system - not telling the parents this.

Or caregivers.

Or perhaps they assumed - something no one should ever do - that parents would know enough to take that action themselves.

What with Facetime and Snapchat and all that stuff, kids could quite easily stay indoors watching TV (or god forbid read a book or take online classes) while at the same time talking to their friends.

Really? You got people hoarding TP and other crap. You believe they are going to be reasonable about this type of stuff?

Pfffffffffttttttttttttttt.

Most of the Baby Boomer generation is retired by now.

Only half

Frankly, the type of people who would hoard toilet paper are the type of people who would keep their kids indoors so they wouldn’t bring the virus in to their homes.

Not saying kids won’t sneak out on their own.

This point should immediately halt intergenerational squabbles.

Well said!

:trophy:

1 Like

I was thinking, are they hoarding, or are they buying for other people as well as themselves?

I have a few friends without cars, so I help them do their shopping at big box stores. I also pick up stuff for them when they need it and can’t get to a store.

Not saying a percentage aren’t hoarding, but maybe give some people the benefit of the doubt.

It’s the idiots on Florida beaches that irk me. I hope some entity is going to monitor those guys for the virus. It would be interesting to see how many get it. (Or not.)

Overheard a customer in a discount store sharing about the shutdown of barber shops in neighboring CT.

Now I can see shutting down services like tatts, bodily piercings and acrylic nails. Or limiting beauticians and barbers to those haircuts and basic care services that should have the customers in and out (sorry we’re not coloring or perming).

But can someone tell me how shutting down basic services we all need from time to time is going to make things better? Some poor soul goes without a haircut for longer than usual, and maybe something like bangs really need trimmed, might they not engage in an action like rubbing their irritated eyes—something advised against to avoid spreading this new virus?

So not seeing how forbidding these professionals from even basic grooming services like shampoos and haircuts is going to improve things.