The Birth of the new America Aristocracy

I’m not going to start arguing with any of you. I know I grew up privileged, as did my parents and as did my son. I am not under the illusion that most Americans have the life I have been fortunate to live and able to give my son.

Good for you.

It’s neither good nor bad - simply an accident of birth.

But it is why I believe in social programs and taxes to pay for those programs for those less fortunate.

1 Like

Why? They are simply an accident of birth as well.

Because I have empathy for those less fortunate than me.

Also, as a liberal, I want many other things that would make the playing field more even - like free pre school education, free college education and universal health insurance. I am very willing to pay more in taxes for these things.

Go right ahead, they’ll take anything you want to give them.

I’ve found most people don’t appreciate “free”. They appreciate what they earn.

So most people you know don’t appreciate the elementary and secondary public school education they received?

You ever talk to a teenager? 20 something?

Of course I am talking about people more removed from their school days who can put things like that in perspective.

So, I’ll ask again, do you not know any people who appreciate their elementary and secondary public school education?

Yes. You realize of course there is nothing free. I will be paying their “free school” for the rest of my life.

me too sneaks!

Indeed we will. We don’t own it, we rent it.

Of course I realize nothing is truly free. That is what we, as a collective, pay taxes for.

I happily paid private high school tuition of $18k a year for my son, while also voting yes, on my public’s schools districts budget every year for the last 28 years @10K/ year. I just voted yes last Tuesday on my district’s budget, happily.

You are truly a giver. I salute your privileged self.

Why did you pay private high school tuition?

I believe taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society.

It’s a moral obligation, imo.

Because my son sails and wanted to go to a school which had a sailing team.

He also sailed in college.

And you are entitled to your opinion.

It doesn’t extend to my wallet.

“Sailed”? Like a boat?

But there is nothing stopping me from working for, giving money to, and voting for elected politions who hold the same beliefs as I do.